Macro-Financial Risks and Central Banks: What Changes Has the Crisis Triggered?
The global crisis has raised important questions about the role of the central banks in promoting financial stability. One of the lessons emphasized by the crisis is that central banks will, without any doubt, be involved whenever a systemic financial crisis occurs. In this line, the present paper intends to examine and question the role of central banks in mitigating macro-financial risks, with a focus on their mandate in respect of the monetary policy issues. Our approach is based on a theoretical debate related to the attributes and behavior of central banks, illustrating thus their role in the assurance of financial stability. In the context of the present financial crisis, the legitimacy of the policies applied by central banks in order to pursue and achieve the stability of the financial systems was again questioned, especially by some partisans of the Austrian school. They blame the central banks for the onset of the worldwide crisis and try to prove that both their activity and involvement in this sphere are unnecessary. Starting from this background, our paper demonstrates that it is not opportune and appropriate to put the burden of crisis mitigation failure only on the shoulders of these institutions. Moreover, the mandate assigned to central banks has to be strengthened by increasing their responsibilities in the field of financial stability. This aim can be achieved if financial stability is approached as a monetary policy objective. In other words, we reckon that it is inappropriate to focus the theoretical debates on the legitimacy of central banks in assuring the financial stability, as they should rather concentrate on the tools central banks dispose of in order to prevent and mitigate macro-financial risks, as well as on the efficiency of these instruments in the assurance of financial stability.
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3(15) ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 0256 592506
Fax: 004 0256 5925002
Web page: http://www.feaa.uvt.ro
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: 16 J. H. Pestalozzi Street, 300115, Timisoara, Romania|
Web: http://www.tje.uvt.ro Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Grauwe & Thomas Mayer & Karel Lannoo, 2008. "Lessons from the Financial Crisis: New Rules for Central Banks and Credit Rating Agencies?," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 43(5), pages 256-266, September.
- Grégory Levieuge, 2005. "Politique monétaire et prix d'actifs," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 93(2), pages 317-355.
- Garry J. Schinasi, 2003. "Responsibility of Central Banks for Stability in Financial Markets," IMF Working Papers 03/121, International Monetary Fund.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Hans Genberg & Sushil Wadhwani, 2002. "Asset Prices in a Flexible Inflation Targeting Framework," NBER Working Papers 8970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Albulescu, Claudiu Tiberiu, 2010. "Forecasting The Romanian Financial System Stability Using A Stochastic Simulation Model," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 81-98, March.
- Adam Gersl & Jaroslav Hermanek, 2007. "Financial Stability Indicators: Advantages and Disadvantages of their Use in the Assessment of Financial System Stability," Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes, in: CNB Financial Stability Report 2006, chapter 0, pages 69-79 Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Dominique Pepin, 2010. "La BCE réagit-elle au prix des actifs financiers ?," Working Papers hal-00963626, HAL.
- Driffill, John & Rotondi, Zeno & Savona, Paolo & Zazzara, Cristiano, 2006. "Monetary policy and financial stability: What role for the futures market?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-112, April.
- Brousseau, Vincent & Detken, Carsten, 2001. "Monetary policy and fears of financial instability," Working Paper Series 0089, European Central Bank.
- Dirk Schoenmaker, 1992. "Institutional Separation between Supervisory and Monetary Agencies," FMG Special Papers sp52, Financial Markets Group.
- Mark Illing & Ying Liu, 2003. "An Index of Financial Stress for Canada," Working Papers 03-14, Bank of Canada.
- Davis, E. Philip, 1995. "Debt, Financial Fragility, and Systemic Risk," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233312, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wun:journl:tje:v04:y2011:i3(15):a01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Romeo Margea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.