Sewer plant operating efficiency, patronage, and competition
Sewer treatment plants in New York State, US, are studied for efficiency and economies of scale. Substantial economies of scale are found. The degree of inefficiency for each plant is then computed and this inefficiency is related to the degree of market concentration in that county. The result found is that greater concentration induces a reduction in efficiency. This is argued to be consistent with the Tiebout Hypothesis. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1985. "Searching for Leviathan: An Empirical Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 748-57, September.
- Hochman, O. & Pines, D. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"On the optimal structure of local governments,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1185, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Santerre, Rexford E, 1990. "A Test of Executive Behavior in the Local Public Sector," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 546-50, August.
- Wyckoff, Paul Gary, 1991. "Testing Bureaucratic Influence on Local School Expenditures by Comparing Survey and Expenditure Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 331-35, May.
- Hulten, Charles R, 1984. "Productivity Change in State and Local Governments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 256-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:mgtdec:v:26:y:2005:i:1:p:1-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.