Exports, domestic policy and world markets: a panel study
This paper analyses how export growth rates in sub-Saharan Africa are determined by both domestic and external market conditions. We highlight the problems of measuring trade orientation given the various domestically-determined factors which influence the conditions faced by exporters. Focusing on the impact of trade policy is not a good measure of trade orientation since additional domestic policies can have an important influence on the trade orientation of a country. Hence, we select an index which incorporates the effect of trade and other policies. Then we construct an index which provides a more appropriate measure of conditions faced by exporters in the world market than previously cited measures. We find that, contrary to the recent literature, external market conditions are still critical in explaining export growth rates in sub-Saharan Africa and should be taken into account when engaging in policy decisions. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riedel, James, 1984. "Trade as the Engine of Growth in Developing Countries, Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 56-73, March.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew M. Warner, 1995.
"Economic Convergence and Economic Policies,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1715, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew M. Warner, 1995. "Economic Convergence and Economic Policies," NBER Working Papers 5039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew M. Warner, 1995. "Economic Convergence and Economic Policies," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0035, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Love, J., 1984. "External market conditions, competitiveness, diversification and LDCs' exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 279-291, December.
- Ian Marsh & Stephen Tokarick, 1996. "An assessment of three measures of competitiveness," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 132(4), pages 700-722, December.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1992.
"Trade orientation, distortions and growth in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 31-57, July.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1991. "Trade Orientation, Distortions and Growth in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 3716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S, 1978. "The Supply and Demand for Exports: A Simultaneous Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(2), pages 275-86, May.
- Cottani, Joaquin A & Cavallo, Domingo F & Khan, M Shahbaz, 1990. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior and Economic Performance in LDCs," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 61-76, October.
- Rodrik, Rani, 1995. "Trade and industrial policy reform," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 45, pages 2925-2982 Elsevier.
- Love, James, 1982. "Commodity Diversification and Constrained Choice," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 44(2), pages 145-58, May.
- Faini, Riccardo & Clavijo, Fernando & Senhadji-Semlali, Abdel, 1992. "The fallacy of composition argument : Is it relevant for LDCs' manufactures exports?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 865-882, May.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1986. "Determinants of international trade flows : The Case of Developing Countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 107-123.
- Harrison, Ann, 1996.
"Openness and growth: A time-series, cross-country analysis for developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 419-447, March.
- Harrison, Ann, 1991. "Openness and growth : a time series, cross-country analysis for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 809, The World Bank.
- Ann Harrison, 1995. "Openness and Growth: A Time-Series, Cross-Country Analysis for Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 5221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ghose, Devajyoti & Kharas, Homi, 1993. "International competitiveness, the demand for exports and real effective exchange rates in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 377-398, August.
- Wheeler, David, 1984. "Sources of stagnation in sub-Saharan Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-98, November.
- Claudio Montenegro & Abdelhak S Senhadji, 1998. "Time Series Analysis of Export Demand Equations; A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Working Papers 98/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Jagdish N. Bhagwati, 1978. "Anatomy and Consequences of Exchange Control Regimes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bhag78-1, September.
- Dominique Desruelle & Alessandro Zanello, 1997. "A Primeron the IMF's Information Notice System," IMF Working Papers 97/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastian Edwards & Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1987.
"Tariffs, the Real Exchange Rate and the Terms of Trade: On Two Popular Propositions in International Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
2365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edwards, Sebastian & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1987. "Tariffs, The Real Exchange Rate and the Terms of Trade: On Two Popular Propositions in International Economics," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 458-64, September.
- Michaely, Michael, 1977. "Exports and growth : An empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 49-53, February.
- Milner, Chris & McKay, Andrew, 1996. "Real Exchange Rate Measures of Trade Liberalisation: Some Evidence for Mauritius," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 5(1), pages 69-91, March.
- Chuhan, Punam & Claessens, Stijn & Mamingi, Nlandu, 1998. "Equity and bond flows to Latin America and Asia: the role of global and country factors," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 439-463, April.
- Shatz, Howard J. & Tarr, David G., 2000. "Exchange rate overvaluation and trade protection - lessons from experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2289, The World Bank.
- Pick, Daniel H & Vollrath, Thomas L, 1994. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment and Agricultural Export Performance in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(3), pages 555-71, April.
- Pritchett, Lant, 1996. "Measuring outward orientation in LDCs: Can it be done?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 307-335, May.
- Paul R. Krugman & Richard E. Baldwin, 1987. "The Persistence of the U.S. Trade Deficit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 1-56.
- Muscatelli, Vito Antonio & Srinivasan, T G & Vines, David, 1990. "The Empirical Modelling of NIE Exports: An Evaluation of Different Approaches," CEPR Discussion Papers 426, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Grennes, Thomas J., 1993. "The real exchange rate and macroeconomic performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-174, October.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:13:y:2001:i:5:p:615-627. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.