Out-of-pocket payment for medical care under Taiwan's National Health Insurance system
The objective of this study is to estimate the amount of and factors associated with out-of-pocket (OOP) payment for medical care under Taiwan's National Health Insurance (NHI) program. This research used two methods to collect original data. The first method consisted of using a sample household survey and household diary records to collect data on OOP payment prospectively over a two-month period from a random sample of 600 households in central Taiwan. Using the individual as the unit of analysis, we obtained a total of 1062 sample subjects. To ascertain the quality and accuracy of survey data, the claim records of the bureau of NHI were merged with the survey data. These data were analyzed by a two-part model, with a probit model for use of health care and an ordinary least-squares model for OOP payments. Results of this research indicate that on average an individual's annual OOP payment for medical care was € 247, which is substantial, compared with the average € 144 for per capita NHI earmarked tax. Finally, results of model estimation indicate that supplemental health insurance and household income were positively associated with any use of health care, while household income was also positively associated with OOP payment for health care. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, R.G., 1998. "Health for all of Wealth for Some? Conflicting Goals in Health Reform," Centre for Health Services and Policy Research 98:12d, University of British Columbia - Centre for Health Services and Policy Research..
- Manning, W. G. & Duan, N. & Rogers, W. H., 1987. "Monte Carlo evidence on the choice between sample selection and two-part models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 59-82, May.
- Leung, Siu Fai & Yu, Shihti, 1996.
"On the choice between sample selection and two-part models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 197-229.
- Leung, S.F. & Yu, S., 1992. "On the Choice Between Sample Selection and Two-Part Models," RCER Working Papers 337, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hana Ross & Frank J. Chaloupka, 2004. "The Effect of Public Policies and Prices on Youth Smoking," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 796-815, April.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-255, March-Apr.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "Equity in the finance of health care: some further international comparisons1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 263-290, June.
- Mocan, H. Naci & Tekin, Erdal & Zax, Jeffrey S., 2004. "The Demand for Medical Care in Urban China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 289-304, February.
- H. Naci Mocan & Erdal Tekin & Jeffrey S. Zax, 2000. "The Demand for Medical Care in Urban China," NBER Working Papers 7673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duan, Naihua, et al, 1983. "A Comparison of Alternative Models for the Demand for Medical Care," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 115-126, April.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & van der Burg, Hattem & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Di Biase, Rita & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "The redistributive effect of health care finance in twelve OECD countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Evans, R.G., 2000. "Financing Health Care: Taxation and the Alternatives," Centre for Health Services and Policy Research 2000:15d, University of British Columbia - Centre for Health Services and Policy Research.. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:17:y:2008:i:8:p:961-975. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.