Should the capability approach be applied in Health Economics?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Paul Dolan & Mathew White, 2006. "Dynamic Well-Being: Connecting Indicators of what People Anticipate with Indicators of what they Experience," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 75(2), pages 303-333, January.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2003. "Sen'S Capability Approach And Gender Inequality: Selecting Relevant Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 61-92.
- Richard Cookson, 2005. "QALYs and the capability approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(8), pages 817-829.
- Culyer, A J, 1989. "The Normative Economics of Health Care Finance and Provision," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 34-58, Spring.
- Martha Nussbaum, 2003. "Capabilities As Fundamental Entitlements: Sen And Social Justice," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 33-59.
- Anand, Paul & van Hees, Martin, 2006. "Capabilities and achievements: An empirical study," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 268-284, April.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 1994. "Human development Index: Methodology and Measurement," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1994-02, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Richardson, Jeff & McKie, John, 2005. "Empiricism, ethics and orthodox economic theory: what is the appropriate basis for decision-making in the health sector?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 265-275, January.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The potential of the super QALY to reconcile the key contentions in health economics
by Chris Sampson in The Academic Health Economists' Blog on 2013-05-20 11:54:41
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Quiggin, John, 2013.
"Capabilities as menus: A non-welfarist basis for QALY evaluation,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 128-137.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Quiggin, John, 2011. "Capabilities as Menus: A Non-Welfarist Basis for QALY Evaluation," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151199, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- repec:spr:aphecp:v:15:y:2017:i:6:d:10.1007_s40258-017-0343-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paula Lorgelly, 2015. "Choice of Outcome Measure in an Economic Evaluation: A Potential Role for the Capability Approach," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 33(8), pages 849-855, August.
- Mitchell, Paul Mark & Roberts, Tracy E. & Barton, Pelham M. & Coast, Joanna, 2015. "Assessing sufficient capability: A new approach to economic evaluation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 139(C), pages 71-79.
- Ryan, Mandy & Kinghorn, Philip & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Francis, Jill J., 2014. "Valuing patients' experiences of healthcare processes: Towards broader applications of existing methods," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 194-203.
- Richard D. Smith & Tracey H. Sach, 2009. "Contingent valuation: (still) on the road to nowhere?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 863-866.
- Wildman, John & McMeekin, Peter & Grieve, Eleanor & Briggs, Andrew, 2016. "Economic evaluation of integrated new technologies for health and social care: Suggestions for policy makers, users and evaluators," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 169(C), pages 141-148.
- Philip Kinghorn & Angela Robinson & Richard Smith, 2015. "Developing a Capability-Based Questionnaire for Assessing Well-Being in Patients with Chronic Pain," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 120(3), pages 897-916, February.
- Simon, Judit & Anand, Paul & Gray, Alastair & Rugkåsa, Jorun & Yeeles, Ksenija & Burns, Tom, 2013. "Operationalising the capability approach for outcome measurement in mental health research," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 98(C), pages 187-196.
- Kevin Marsh & Ceri Phillips & Richard Fordham & Evelina Bertranou & Janine Hale, 2012. "Estimating cost-effectiveness in public health: a summary of modelling and valuation methods," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-6, December.
- Lorgelly, Paula K. & Lorimer, Karen & Fenwick, Elisabeth A.L. & Briggs, Andrew H. & Anand, Paul, 2015. "Operationalising the capability approach as an outcome measure in public health: The development of the OCAP-18," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 142(C), pages 68-81.
- Donaldson, Cam & Roy, Michael & Hill-O'Connor, Clementine & Biosca, Olga & Baker, Rachel & Kay, Alan & Gillespie, Morag & Godwin, Jon & Morgan, Antony & Skelton, Dawn A & Stewart, John & Anderson, Iso, 2014. "Global issues, local solutions: rethinking wealth and health through the lens of social enteprise," Health Economics Working Paper Series 201402, Glasgow Caledonian University, Yunus Centre.
- McHugh, Neil & Baker, Rachel & Mason, Helen & Williamson, Laura & van Exel, Job & Deogaonkar, Rohan & Collins, Marissa & Donaldson, Cam, 2014. "Extending life for people with a terminal illness: a moral right or an expensive death? Exploring societal perspectives," Health Economics Working Paper Series 201403, Glasgow Caledonian University, Yunus Centre.
- Herlitz, Anders & Horan, David, 2016. "Measuring needs for priority setting in healthcare planning and policy," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 157(C), pages 96-102.
- repec:spr:pharme:v:35:y:2017:i:6:d:10.1007_s40273-017-0495-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Coast, Joanna & Smith, Richard D. & Lorgelly, Paula, 2008. "Welfarism, extra-welfarism and capability: The spread of ideas in health economics," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(7), pages 1190-1198, October.
- Joanna Coast & Philip Kinghorn & Paul Mitchell, 2015. "The Development of Capability Measures in Health Economics: Opportunities, Challenges and Progress," The Patient: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, Springer;Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, vol. 8(2), pages 119-126, April.
- Coast, Joanna, 2009. "Maximisation in extra-welfarism: A critique of the current position in health economics," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 786-792, September.
- Helen Weatherly & Rita Faria & Bernard Van den Berg & Mark Sculpher & Peter Oâ€™Neill & Kay Nolan & Julie Glanville & Jaana Isojarvi & Erin Baragula & Mary Edwards, 2017. "Scoping review on social care economic evaluation methods," Working Papers 150cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:17:y:2008:i:6:p:667-670. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749 .