Prudence and optimal prevention for health risks
Empirical evidence suggests the existence of a positive relationship between fear of sickness (FS) - as measured by the level of future utility lost when sickness occurs - and the level of effort to prevent the occurrence of sickness. By looking theoretically at this issue, we develop new results on the determinants of optimal prevention for health risks. In particular, we show that a sufficient condition to pursue more prevention for an individual with a higher FS than another is to have lower prudence in Kimball's (1990) sense, whatever the distribution of risk. These findings reinforce the role of prudence as a main determinant of the optimal level of prevention. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 15 (2006)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eeckhoudt, L. & Godfroid, Ph. & Gollier, C., 1997. "Willingness to pay, the risk premium and risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 355-360, September.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Milton Friedman & L. J. Savage, 1948. "The Utility Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 279-279.
- Marcel Boyer & Georges Dionne, 1989.
"More on Insurance, Protection, and Risk,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(1), pages 202-204, February.
- Boyer, M. & Dionne, G., 1988. "More On Insurance, Protection And Risk," Cahiers de recherche 8806, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Boyer, M. & Dionne, G., 1988. "More on Insurance, Protection and Risk," Cahiers de recherche 8806, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Crainich, David & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 2003.
"The effect of comorbidities on treatment decisions,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 805-820, September.
- BLEICHRODT, Han & CRAINICH, David & EECKHOUDT, Louis, "undated". "The effect of comorbidities on treatment decisions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1668, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Christian Gollier, 2005.
"The impact of prudence on optimal prevention,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 26(4), pages 989-994, November.
- L. Eeckhoudt & H. Schlesinger, 2009.
"On the utility premium of Friedman and Savage,"
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1984.
"Self-Insurance, Self-Protection and Increased Risk Aversion,"
Cahiers de recherche
8424, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, Georges & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 1985. "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 39-42.
- DIONNE, George & EECKHOUDT, Louis, "undated". "Self-insurance, self-protection and increased risk aversion," CORE Discussion Papers RP 623, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Courbage, Christophe, 1999. "Primes de risque et soins de santé," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 75(4), pages 665-672, décembre.
- Bruno Jullien & Bernard SalaniÃ© & FranÃ§ois SalaniÃ©, 1999. "Should More Risk-Averse Agents Exert More Effort?," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics (The Geneva Association), vol. 24(1), pages 19-28, June.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-648, July-Aug..
- Philip J. Cook & Daniel A. Graham, 1977. "The Demand for Insurance and Protection: The Case of Irreplaceable Commodities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(1), pages 143-156.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:15:y:2006:i:12:p:1323-1327. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.