The Impact of Face-to-face and Frequent Interactions on Innovation: Evidence from Upstream-Downstream Relations
This paper proposes a new mechanism linking innovation and networks in developing economies to identify explicit production and information linkages. We investigate the testable hypotheses of these linkages using survey data gathered from manufacturing firms in East Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Vietnam. We found that firms that dispatched engineers to customers achieved more product and process innovations than firms that did not. Just-in-time relationship is effective for dealing with process innovation. We found that such strong complementarities as Just-in-time are not effective for product innovation. These findings support the hypothesis that face-to-face communication and strong complementarities among buyer-seller networks have different roles in product and process innovation.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur|
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2004.
"Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube,"
Game Theory and Information
0401004, EconWPA, revised 27 Jan 2004.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2008. "Knowledge Creation As A Square Dance On The Hilbert Cube," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1251-1295, November.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 2007. "Knowledge creation as a square dance on the Hilbert cube," MPRA Paper 2884, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2005. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," Game Theory and Information 0506006, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 2005.
- Masahisa Fujita & Marcus Berliant, 2004. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 204, Econometric Society.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2004. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," KIER Working Papers 580, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 2004. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," IDE Discussion Papers 14, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Tomohiro Machikita & Yasushi Ueki, 2011.
"Innovation in Linked and Non-linked Firms: Effects of Variety of Linkages in East Asia,"
Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies),
Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 3(1), pages 77-102, April.
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Yasushi UEKI, 2010. "Innovation in Linked and Non-linked Firms: Effects of Variety of Linkages in East Asia," Working Papers DP-2010-03, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Blalock, Garrick & Gertler, Paul J., 2008. "Welfare gains from Foreign Direct Investment through technology transfer to local suppliers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 402-421, March.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 2007.
"Dynamics of knowledge creation and transfer: The two person case,"
4973, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2009. "Dynamics of knowledge creation and transfer: The two person case," International Journal of Economic Theory, The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 155-179.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rasiah, Rajah, 1994. "Flexible Production Systems and Local Machine-Tool Subcontracting: Electronics Components Transnationals in Malaysia," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 279-98, June.
- Vega-Jurado, Jaider & Gutiérrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Manjarrés-Henriquez, Liney, 2008. "The effect of external and internal factors on firms' product innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 616-632, May.
- Keely,L.C., 2002. "Exchanging good ideas," Working papers 14, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:3:y:2011:i:3:p:519-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.