The Impact of Face-to-face and Frequent Interactions on Innovation: Evidence from Upstream-Downstream Relations
This paper proposes a new mechanism linking innovation and networks in developing economies to identify explicit production and information linkages. We investigate the testable hypotheses of these linkages using survey data gathered from manufacturing firms in East Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Vietnam. We found that firms that dispatched engineers to customers achieved more product and process innovations than firms that did not. Just-in-time relationship is effective for dealing with process innovation. We found that such strong complementarities as Just-in-time are not effective for product innovation. These findings support the hypothesis that face-to-face communication and strong complementarities among buyer-seller networks have different roles in product and process innovation.
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2004.
"Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube,"
Game Theory and Information
0401004, EconWPA, revised 27 Jan 2004.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2008. "Knowledge Creation As A Square Dance On The Hilbert Cube," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1251-1295, November.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2004. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," KIER Working Papers 580, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Masahisa Fujita & Marcus Berliant, 2004. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 204, Econometric Society.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2005. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," Game Theory and Information 0506006, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 2005.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 2007. "Knowledge creation as a square dance on the Hilbert cube," MPRA Paper 2884, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 2004. "Knowledge Creation as a Square Dance on the Hilbert Cube," IDE Discussion Papers 14, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992.
"Growth in Cities,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-52, December.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus Berliant & Masahisa Fujita, 2009.
"Dynamics of knowledge creation and transfer: The two person case,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 155-179.
- Berliant, Marcus & Fujita, Masahisa, 2007. "Dynamics of knowledge creation and transfer: The two person case," MPRA Paper 4973, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vega-Jurado, Jaider & Gutiérrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernández-de-Lucio, Ignacio & Manjarrés-Henriquez, Liney, 2008. "The effect of external and internal factors on firms' product innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 616-632, May.
- Keely,L.C., 2002. "Exchanging good ideas," Working papers 14, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Yasushi UEKI, 2010.
"Innovation in Linked and Non-linked Firms: Effects of Variety of Linkages in East Asia,"
DP-2010-03, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Tomohiro Machikita & Yasushi Ueki, 2011. "Innovation in Linked and Non-linked Firms: Effects of Variety of Linkages in East Asia," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 3(1), pages 77-102, April.
- Blalock, Garrick & Gertler, Paul J., 2008. "Welfare gains from Foreign Direct Investment through technology transfer to local suppliers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 402-421, March.
- Rasiah, Rajah, 1994. "Flexible Production Systems and Local Machine-Tool Subcontracting: Electronics Components Transnationals in Malaysia," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 279-98, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:3:y:2011:i:3:p:519-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.