Tests and confidence sets with correct size when instruments are potentially weak
We consider inference in the linear regression model with one endoge- nous variable and potentially weak instruments. We construct confidence sets for the coefficient on the endogenous variable by inverting the Anderson-Rubin, Lagrange multiplier, and conditional likelihood-ratio tests. Our confidence sets have correct coverage probabilities even when the instruments are weak. We propose a numerically simple algorithm for finding these confidence sets, and we present a Stata command that supersedes the one presented in Moreira and Poi (Stata Journal 3: 57–70). Copyright 2006 by StataCorp LP.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.stata-journal.com/subscription.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1990.
"Some Further Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 967-976, July.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "Some Furthere Results On The Exact Small Sample Properties Of The Instrumental Variable Estimator," Working Papers 88-06, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988. "Some Further Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator," NBER Technical Working Papers 0068, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "Some Furthere Results On The Exact Small Sample Properties Of The Instrumental Variable Estimator," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 88-06, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Marcelo J. Moreira & Brian P. Poi, 2003.
"Implementing tests with correct size in the simultaneous equations model,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 57-70, March.
- Marcelo J. Moreira & Brian P. Poi, 2003. "Implementing Tests with Correct Size in the Simultaneous Equation Model," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1993, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Marcelo Moreira & James H. Stock, 2004.
"Optimal Invariant Similar Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Marcelo J. Moreira & James H. Stock, 2004. "Optimal Invariant Similar Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1476, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stock, James H & Wright, Jonathan H & Yogo, Motohiro, 2002. "A Survey of Weak Instruments and Weak Identification in Generalized Method of Moments," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 518-529, October.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Moreira, Marcelo J. & Stock, James H., 2007. "Performance of conditional Wald tests in IV regression with weak instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 116-132, July.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Moreira, Marcelo J., 2009. "Tests with correct size when instruments can be arbitrarily weak," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 131-140, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsj:stataj:v:6:y:2006:i:3:p:335-347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)or (Lisa Gilmore)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.