Alcohol Advertising And Motor Vehicle Fatalities
The purpose of this paper is to estimate empirically the effect of alcohol advertising on motor vehicle fatalities. The data indicate that if a ban on broadcast alcohol advertising did not also include bans on other types of alcohol marketing, the effect on motor vehicle fatalities might be in the range of 2000 to 3000 lives saved per year. The data also indicate that the elimination of the tax deductibility of alcohol advertising could reduce alcohol advertising by about 15%, reduce motor vehicle fatalities by about 1300 deaths per year, and raise about $300 million a year in new tax revenue. © 1997 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Volume (Year): 79 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry Saffer, 1989.
"Alcohol Advertising Bans and Alcohol Abuse: An International Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
3052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saffer, Henry, 1991. "Alcohol advertising bans and alcohol abuse: An international perspective," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 65-79, May.
- Walsh, Brendan M, 1982. "The Demand for Alcohol in the UK: A Comment," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 439-46, June.
- Henry G. Grabowski, 1976. "The Effects of Advertising on the Interindustry Distribution of Demand," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 3, number 1, pages 21-75 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ornstein, Stanley I & Hanssens, Dominique M, 1985. " Alcohol Control Laws and the Consumption of Distilled Spirits and Beer," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 200-213, September.
- Young, Douglas J., 1993. "Alcohol advertising bans and alcohol abuse: Comment," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 213-228, July.
- Saffer, Henry, 1993. "Alcohol advertising bans and alcohol abuse: Reply," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 229-234, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:79:y:2000:i:3:p:431-442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.