Public Bus Transport Demand Elasticities in India
A number of static and dynamic specifications of a log-linear demand function for public transport are estimated using aggregate panel data for twenty-two Indian states over the period 1990 to 2001. In all cases, transit demand is significant and inelastic with respect to the fare. Service quality, approximated by the density of the coverage of the transport service, seems to be an important variable that affects demand. However, service quality improvements should also be preceded by a cost-benefit analysis. Finally, social and demographic variables highlight the complex nature of public bus transit demand in India. © 2013 LSE and the University of Bath
Volume (Year): 47 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goodwin, P. B. & Williams, H. C. W. L., 1985. "Public transport demand models and elasticity measures: An overview of recent British experience," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 253-259, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1986. "Pooling Under Misspecification: Some Monte Carlo Evidence on the Kmenta and the Error Components Techniques," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 429-440, December.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sevestre, P. & Trognon, A., 1985. "A note on autoregressive error components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 231-245, May.
- Bresson, Georges & Dargay, Joyce & Madre, Jean-Loup & Pirotte, Alain, 2003. "The main determinants of the demand for public transport: a comparative analysis of England and France using shrinkage estimators," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 605-627, August.
- Maurice J. G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2010.
"The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(1), pages 95-126, 02.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "The Weak Instrument Problem of the System GMM Estimator in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 07/595, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Maurice Bun & Frank Windmeijer, 2007. "The weak instrument problem of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/07, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Selvanathan, Saroja, 1994.
"Understanding Consumption Patterns,"
Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 69-110.
- Felix R FitzRoy & Ian Smith, 1997. "Passenger Rail Transport: Demand and Quality in a European Panel," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9720, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1970. "The Peak Load Problem with Increasing Returns and Pricing Constraints," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 693-705, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Peter Romilly, 2001. "Subsidy and Local Bus Service Deregulation in Britain: A Re-evaluation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 161-193, May.
- Graziano Abrate & Massimiliano Piacenza & Davide Vannoni, .
"The Impact of Integrated Tariff Systems on Public Transport Demand: Evidence from Italy,"
Energy and Environmental Modeling 2007
- Abrate, Graziano & Piacenza, Massimiliano & Vannoni, Davide, 2009. "The impact of Integrated Tariff Systems on public transport demand: Evidence from Italy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 120-127, March.
- Anna Matas, 2003. "Demand and revenue implications of an integrated public transport policy. The case of," Working Papers wpdea0304, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Joyce M. Dargay & Mark Hanly, 2002. "The Demand for Local Bus Services in England," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 36(1), pages 73-91, January.
- Felix Fitzroy & Ian Smith, 1993. "The Demand for Public Transport: Some Estimates from Zurich," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9308, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Appelbaum, Elie & Berechman, Joseph, 1991. "Demand conditions, regulation, and the measurement of productivity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 379-400, February.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bun, Maurice J. G. & Kiviet, Jan F., 2003. "On the diminishing returns of higher-order terms in asymptotic expansions of bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 145-152, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpe:jtecpo:v:47:y:2013:i:3:p:419-436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.