A Productivity Growth Interpretation of the Labour Demand Shift-Share Model
GRAHAM D. J. and SPENCE N. (1998) A productivity growth interpretation of the labour demand shift-share model, Reg. Studies 32, 515-525. This paper proposes modifications to the labour demand shift-share model set out in this journal by CASLER, 1989, to allow for its implementation and to extend its use to analyses of regional labour productivity growth. The paper begins by briefly outlining the theoretical basis for the shift-share method provided in Casler's paper, and then goes on to present a specific reformulation of the model which incorporates input price and technological growth effects on labour demand. These additional effects are defined as productivity components within the shift-share model, and the empirical and theoretical implications of the modifications made are discussed in the paper. An empirical example of the results obtained through the modified labour demand shift-share model is then provided for selected British regions. The paper concludes by outlining potential uses of the modified model for regional analyses of labour productivity
Volume (Year): 32 (1998)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D R Holden & J K Swales & A G M Nairn, 1987.
"The Repeated Application of Shift-Share: A Structural Explanation of Regional Growth?,"
Environment and Planning A,
, vol. 19(9), pages 1233-1250, September.
- D R Holden & J K Swales & A G M Nairn, 1987. "The repeated application of shift-share: a structural explanation of regional growth?," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(9), pages 1233-1250, September.
- Fogarty, Michael S. & Garofalo, Gasper A., 1988. "Urban spatial structure and productivity growth in the manufacturing sector of cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 60-70, January.
- Beeson, Patricia E., 1990. "Sources of the decline of manufacturing in large metropolitan areas," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 71-86, July.
- D C Knudsen & R Barff, 1991. "Shift-Share Analysis as a Linear Model," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 23(3), pages 421-431, March.
- N Vagionis & N Spence, 1994. "Total factor regional productivity in Greece," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(4), pages 383-407, August.
- Andrikopoulos, Andreas A., 1980. "A synthesis of the production function and the shift-share model : A new regional modelling approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 539-560, November.
- Henderson, J. Vernon, 1986. "Efficiency of resource usage and city size," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 47-70, January.
- D C Knudsen & R Barff, 1991. "Shift - share analysis as a linear model," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 23(3), pages 421-431, March.
- John Freebairn & Bill Griffiths, 2006. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages 1-1, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:32:y:1998:i:6:p:515-525. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.