Mathematical foundation of convexity correction
A broad class of exotic interest rate derivatives can be valued simply by adjusting the forward interest rate. This adjustment is known in the market as convexity correction. Various ad hoc rules are used to calculate the convexity correction for different products, many of them mutually inconsistent. In this research paper we put convexity correction on a firm mathematical basis by showing that it can be interpreted as the side-effect of a change of probability measure. This provides us with a theoretically consistent framework to calculate convexity corrections. Using this framework we review various expressions for LIBOR in arrears and diff swaps that have been derived in the literature. Furthermore, we propose a simple method to calculate analytical approximations for general instances of convexity correction.
Volume (Year): 3 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RQUF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Benhamou, 2002. "A Martingale Result for Convexity Adjustment in the Black Pricing Model," Finance 0212005, EconWPA.
- Erik Schlögl, 2002.
"A multicurrency extension of the lognormal interest rate Market Models,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 173-196.
- Erik Schlögl, 1999. "A Multicurrency Extension of the Lognormal Interest Rate Market Models," Research Paper Series 20, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1997. "LIBOR and swap market models and measures (*)," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 293-330.
- Rudiger Frey & Daniel Sommer, 1996. "A systematic approach to pricing and hedging international derivatives with interest rate risk: analysis of international derivatives under stochastic interest rates," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 295-317.
- Margrabe, William, 1978. "The Value of an Option to Exchange One Asset for Another," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 177-86, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:quantf:v:3:y:2003:i:1:p:59-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.