The Use of Policies for Competition in the Promotion of Structural Change in Transforming Economies
This article takes as its central theme the idea that competition policy is merely one among many policies which can and should be used to promote competition in an economy. After having considered the importance of competition for any healthy economy, the article examines the inextricable links between competition and transition, in particular marketisation and liberalisation, and discusses in detail the scope for the use of various policies for competition in the transformation process. Within this discussion, particular attention is paid to the importance of the legal and institutional framework, the process of privatisation, macroeconomic stability, ease of entry, supply side policies, the role of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), and trade policy in contributing to the development of a market economy. The article concludes by noting the extreme care that must be taken not only in the content of such policies but also in their implementation, something which is easily demonstrated by the experience of developed capitalist economies in the West.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vickers, John, 1995. "Concepts of Competition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Yarrow, George, 1991. "Vertical Supply Arrangements: Issues and Applications in the Energy Industry," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 35-53, Summer.
- Kay, J A & Thompson, D J, 1986. "Privatisation: A Policy in Search of a Rationale," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 18-32, March.
- Helm, Dieter, 1991. "The Assessment: Energy Policy," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 1-16, Summer.
- Helm, Dieter & Yarrow, George, 1988. "The Assessment: The Regulation of Utilities," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages i-xxxi, Summer.
- Demsetz, Harold, 1969. "Information and Efficiency: Another Viewpoint," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-22, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:11:y:1999:i:2:p:193-217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.