Excise taxation in New Zealand
In New Zealand, excise taxes are levied on alcohol, tobacco and petrol. The advised that they should be removed and the revenue replaced by raising the standard rate of GST. This paper provides an empirical examination of these issues. First, the effects of the current system of indirect taxes are examined. The welfare and redistributive effects resulting from the revenue-neutral removal of excise taxes are then analysed for a range of demographic groups and total weekly expenditure levels. The largest efficiency gains and reductions in inequality are observed for households with at least one smoker, but the overall distributional implications of the proposed reforms are small.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RNZP20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RNZP20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ebert, Udo, 1997. "Social Welfare When Needs Differ: An Axiomatic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 233-244, May.
- John Creedy & Catherine Sleeman, 2004. "Adult Equivalence Scales, Inequality and Poverty in New Zealand," Treasury Working Paper Series 04/21, New Zealand Treasury.
- Creedy, J., 1996.
"Measuring the Welfare Effects of Price Changes: A Convenient Parametric Approach,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
536, The University of Melbourne.
- Creedy, John, 1998. "Measuring the Welfare Effects of Price Changes: A Convenient Parametric Approach," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 137-151, June.
- Felicity Barker, 2002. "Consumption Externalities and the Role of Government: The Case of Alcohol," Treasury Working Paper Series 02/25, New Zealand Treasury.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Cowell, Frank A, 1994. "Parametric Equivalence Scales and Scale Relativities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 891-900, July.
- Amiel, Yoram & Creedy, John & Hurn, Stan, 1999. " Measuring Attitudes towards Inequality," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(1), pages 83-96, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:nzecpp:v:39:y:2005:i:1:p:1-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.