The use of intentional language in scientific articles in finance
Rosenberg claims that economics must use the 'intentional idiom' for its explanatory strategies. We examine whether scientific articles in financial economics do in fact ascribe propositional attitudes to economic agents. We look at articles in the Journal of Finance , volume 54 (1999), where we find a total of 250 502 words in 29 articles. The total number of ascriptions of the intentional states of belief, desire, expectation or preference to economic agents is 137, with 26 of 29 articles making 10 or fewer ascriptions. We propose other areas where intentionality might be found in these articles.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raymond P. H. Fishe, 1998. "What Are the Research Standards for Full Professor of Finance?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(3), pages 1053-1079, 06.
- Rosenberg, Alexander, 1992. "Economics--Mathematical Politics or Science of Diminishing Returns?," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226727233, June.
- Borokhovich, Kenneth A, et al, 1995. " Finance Research Productivity and Influence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1691-1717, December.
- Ross, Don, 1995. "Real Patterns and the Ontological Foundations of Microeconomics," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 113-136, April.
- Rappaport, Steven, 1995. "Is Economics Empirical Knowledge?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 137-158, April.
- Steve Swidler & Elizabeth Goldreyer, 1998. "The Value of a Finance Journal Publication," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 351-363, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jecmet:v:8:y:2001:i:2:p:203-228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.