Regional development and rural-based export processing zones in developing countries
Many empirical, descriptive and theoretical studies have revealed various aspects of export processing zones (EPZs), but little attention has been given to the issue of the location of EPZs. In this paper, we provide a new theoretical approach to it: a general equilibrium model that consists of two regions and makes possible a comparison between the economic effects of an expansion of an EPZ in the rural region and that of multinational corporations (MNCs) in the urban region. The result is interesting: expanding the EPZ in the rural region may be a less desirable policy for a developing country than expanding the MNC sector in the urban region.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basu, Arnab K., 1996. "Locational choice for free trade zones: a comment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 381-387, August.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1976. "A note on the economics of the duty free zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 385-388, November.
- Din, Musleh-ud, 1994. "Export processing zones and backward linkages," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 369-385, April.
- Young, Leslie, 1987. "Intermediate goods and the formation of duty-free zones," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 369-384, April.
- Chaudhuri, T. Datta & Adhikari, Smita, 1993. "Free trade zones with Harris-Todaro unemployment A note on Young-Miyagiwa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 157-162, June.
- Young, Leslie & Miyagiwa, Kaz F., 1987. "Unemployment and the formation of duty-free zones," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 397-405, August.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz F., 1986. "A reconsideration of the welfare economics of a free-trade zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 337-350, November.
- Warr, Peter G, 1989. "Export Processing Zones: The Economics of Enclave Manufacturing," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz, 1993. "The locational choice for free-trade zones : Rural versus urban options," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 187-203, February.
- Markusen, James R. & Melvin, James R. & Maskus, Keith E. & Kaempfer, William, 1995. "International trade: theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 21989, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:20:y:2006:i:3:p:369-383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.