Regional development and rural-based export processing zones in developing countries
Many empirical, descriptive and theoretical studies have revealed various aspects of export processing zones (EPZs), but little attention has been given to the issue of the location of EPZs. In this paper, we provide a new theoretical approach to it: a general equilibrium model that consists of two regions and makes possible a comparison between the economic effects of an expansion of an EPZ in the rural region and that of multinational corporations (MNCs) in the urban region. The result is interesting: expanding the EPZ in the rural region may be a less desirable policy for a developing country than expanding the MNC sector in the urban region.
Volume (Year): 20 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R. & Melvin, James R. & Maskus, Keith E. & Kaempfer, William, 1995. "International trade: theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 21989, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz F., 1986. "A reconsideration of the welfare economics of a free-trade zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3-4), pages 337-350, November.
- Young, Leslie, 1987. "Intermediate goods and the formation of duty-free zones," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 369-384, April.
- Miyagiwa, Kaz, 1993. "The locational choice for free-trade zones : Rural versus urban options," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 187-203, February.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1976. "A note on the economics of the duty free zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 385-388, November.
- Chaudhuri, T. Datta & Adhikari, Smita, 1993. "Free trade zones with Harris-Todaro unemployment A note on Young-Miyagiwa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 157-162, June.
- Warr, Peter G, 1989. "Export Processing Zones: The Economics of Enclave Manufacturing," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Basu, Arnab K., 1996. "Locational choice for free trade zones: a comment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 381-387, August.
- Din, Musleh-ud, 1994. "Export processing zones and backward linkages," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 369-385, April.
- Young, Leslie & Miyagiwa, Kaz F., 1987. "Unemployment and the formation of duty-free zones," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 397-405, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:20:y:2006:i:3:p:369-383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.