Who A dvertises Prices? A Firm Level Study Based on Survey Data
Recent years have seen a growing body of literature devoted to the analysis of price advertising. Much of this work argues that price advertising leads to lower prices and is likely to be welfare improving. The questions of how much price advertising takes place and which firms are more likely to include price information in advertising have been somewhat neglected. This paper uses a unique new data set of UK company advertising to answer these questions. The evidence presented suggests that only a small proportion of firms include price information in any of their advertisements. Price information tends to be included in a higher percentage of the advertisements of distribution companies and of those which face more than ten competitors. In addition, the importance of price as a form of competition is a factor in determining the inclusion of price information, but only where the firm aims most of its advertisements towards final consumers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIJB20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert, Jacques & Stahl, Dale O, II, 1993. "Informative Price Advertising in a Sequential Search Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 657-86, May.
- Caves, Richard E & Williamson, Peter J, 1985. "What Is Product Differentiation, Really?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 113-32, December.
- Benham, Lee, 1972. "The Effect of Advertising on the Price of Eyeglasses," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 337-52, October.
- Schroeter, John R. & Smith, Scott L. & Cox, Steven R., 1987. "Advertising and Competition in Routine Legal Service Markets," Staff General Research Papers 11115, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Advertising as a Good or Bad," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 941-64, November.
- Bester, Helmut, 1994. "Random Advertising and Monopolistic Price Dispersion," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 545-59, Fall.
- Bester, Helmut & Petrakis, Emmanuel, 1995. "Price competition and advertising in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 1075-1088, June.
- Van Hoomissen, Theresa, 1988. "Price Dispersion and Inflation: Evidence from Israel," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1303-14, December.
- Caminal, Ramon, 1996. "Price Advertising and Coupons in a Monopoly Model," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 33-52, March.
- Sass, Tim R & Saurman, David S, 1995. "Advertising Restrictions and Concentration: The Case of Malt Beverages," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 66-81, February.
- Buxton, A J & Davies, S W & Lyons, B R, 1984. "Concentration and Advertising in Consumer and Producer Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 451-64, June.
- Machin, Stephen J & Stewart, Mark B, 1990. "Unions and the Financial Performance of British Private Sector Establishments," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 327-50, Oct.-Dec..
- Laband, David N, 1991. "An Objective Measure of Search versus Experience Goods," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 497-509, July.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Leland, Hayne, 1982. "Prices and Qualities in Markets with Costly Information," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 499-516, October.
- Lal, Rajiv & Matutes, Carmen, 1994. "Retail Pricing and Advertising Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 345-70, July.
- Kwoka, John E, Jr, 1984. "Advertising and the Price and Quality of Optometric Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(1), pages 211-16, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ijecbs:v:5:y:1998:i:1:p:57-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.