China's Banking Reform: The Remaining Agenda
Since 1994, China has endeavoured to establish a banking system that works more closely to commercial principles by transforming the specialized banks (SBs) into state-owned commercial banks (SOCBs). However, lending decisions of the SOCBs were still determined by state directives instead of profitability consideration. This paper argues that although the post-WTO banking reforms have accomplished staggering results, China's SOCBs need an overhaul of ownership structure if China aims to develop a full-fledged market-based banking system. It also argues that the current banking reforms are not comprehensive enough to sustain China's long-term economic development because there still remain noticeable capital constraints facing small- and medium-sized private enterprises, particularly those in rural areas.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RGER20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RGER20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Xiaochi & Zhang, Yi, 2009. "Bank ownership reform and bank performance in China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 20-29, January.
- Wai Chung Lo, 2001. "A Retrospect on China's Banking Reform," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(1), pages 15-28, January.
- Brehm Stefan, 2008. "Risk Management in China's State Banks - International Best Practice and the Political Economy of Regulation," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-31, May.
- Barry Naughton, 2007. "The Chinese Economy: Transitions and Growth," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640643, March.
- Kudrna, Zdenek, 2007. "Banking reform in China: Driven by international standards and Chinese specifics," MPRA Paper 7320, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shelagh Heffernan & Xiaoqing Fu, 2010. "Determinants of financial performance in Chinese banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(20), pages 1585-1600.
- Fred Gale, 2009. "Financial Reforms Push Capital to the Countryside," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(5), pages 58-78, September.
- Shujie Yao & Chunxia Jiang & Genfu Feng & Dirk Willenbockel, 2007. "WTO challenges and efficiency of Chinese banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 629-643.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:glecrv:v:40:y:2011:i:2:p:161-178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.