Household Saving in China
China, in recent years the world's largest and fastest growing economy, also has national saving rates that are among the highest in the world. This article considers a variety of statistical issues that cloud the measurement of aggregate and household saving in China. It also provides new empirical evidence on the importance of intertemporal considerations in explaining the variation in household saving across China's provinces. Copyright The Author 2000. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / the world bank . All rights reserved. For permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://wber.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qin, Duo, 1991. "Aggregate consumption and income in China: An econometric study," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 132-141, March.
- Carroll, Christopher D, 1994.
"How Does Future Income Affect Current Consumption?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(1), pages 111-47, February.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 1992. "How does future income affect current consumption?," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 126, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Samwick, Andrew A., 1997.
"The nature of precautionary wealth,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 41-71, September.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 1996. "Data in transition: Assessing rural living standards in Southern China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 23-56.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan David Ostry & Carmen Reinhart, 1995.
"Saving Behavior in Low and Middle-Income Developing Countries; A Comparison,"
IMF Working Papers
95/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan D. Ostry & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao & Ostry, Jonathan, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," MPRA Paper 6978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ma, Guonan, 1993. "Macroeconomic disequilibrium, structural changes, and the household savings and money demand in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 115-136, June.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1985. "A Model of Chinese National Income Determination," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 782-92, August.
- Tianlun Jian & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew M. Warner, 1996.
"Trends in Regional Inequality in China,"
NBER Working Papers
5412, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Lebow, David & van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1990. "Savings, Commodity Market Rationing, and the Real Rate of Interest in China," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(2), pages 234-52, May.
- Chen, Jian & Fleisher, Belton M., 1996. "Regional Income Inequality and Economic Growth in China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 141-164, April.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Liu, Yunhua & Li, Hongyi, 1994. "Financial intermediation, inflation, and capital formation in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 101-115.
- Yingyi Qian, 1988. "Urban and Rural Household Saving in China," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 592-627, December.
- Ellis, Christopher J. & Naughton, Barry J., 1990. "On the theory of household saving in the presence of rationing," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 269-285, June.
- Naughton, Barry, 1987. "Macroeconomic policy and response in the chinese economy: The impact of the reform process," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 334-353, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:wbecrv:v:14:y:2000:i:3:p:545-570. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.