Confined exponential approximations for the valuation of American options
We provide an alternative analytic approximation for the value of an American option using a confined exponential distribution with tight upper bounds. This is an extension of the Geske and Johnson compound option approach and the Ho et al. exponential extrapolation method. Use of a perpetual American put value, and then a European put with high input volatility is suggested in order to provide a tighter upper bound for an American put price than simply the exercise price. Numerical results show that the new method not only overcomes the deficiencies in existing two-point extrapolation methods for long-term options but also further improves pricing accuracy for short-term options, which may substitute adequately for numerical solutions. As an extension, an analytic approximation is presented for a two-factor American call option.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomeyer, Edward C. & Johnson, Herb, 1988. "An Empirical Examination of the Pricing of American Put Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 13-22, March.
- Bjerksund, Petter & Stensland, Gunnar, 1993. "Closed-form approximation of American options," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(Supplemen), pages 87-99.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-976, July.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-1524, December.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-320, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:9:y:2003:i:5:p:449-474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.