Confined exponential approximations for the valuation of American options
We provide an alternative analytic approximation for the value of an American option using a confined exponential distribution with tight upper bounds. This is an extension of the Geske and Johnson compound option approach and the Ho et al. exponential extrapolation method. Use of a perpetual American put value, and then a European put with high input volatility is suggested in order to provide a tighter upper bound for an American put price than simply the exercise price. Numerical results show that the new method not only overcomes the deficiencies in existing two-point extrapolation methods for long-term options but also further improves pricing accuracy for short-term options, which may substitute adequately for numerical solutions. As an extension, an analytic approximation is presented for a two-factor American call option.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bjerksund, Petter & Stensland, Gunnar, 1993. "Closed-form approximation of American options," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(Supplemen), pages S87-S99.
- Blomeyer, Edward C. & Johnson, Herb, 1988. "An Empirical Examination of the Pricing of American Put Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 13-22, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- Barone-Adesi, Giovanni & Whaley, Robert E, 1987. " Efficient Analytic Approximation of American Option Values," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 301-20, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:9:y:2003:i:5:p:449-474. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.