Do bank-firm relationships reduce bank debt? Evidence from Japan
The paper analyses how close relationships to banks influence a firm's choice of financing its debt through publicly marketed bonds or bank loans. It is shown that large Japanese firms use less bank debt, if banks own shares in the firm or bank employees are members of the firm's board. This result supports a theoretical framework, where banks are able to control agency problems associated with debt. Firms use bank loans in order to be monitored, which enables them to access cheaper bond finance. Closer bank-firm relationships facilitate monitoring for the bank and reduce therefore the need for bank finance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971. "A Note on Error Components Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 383-96, March.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason, 1989.
"Do Firms Care Who Provides their Financing?,"
NBER Working Papers
3039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ongena, S. & Smith, D.C., 2000. "Bank relationships : A review," Other publications TiSEM 993b88a5-9a0f-42de-9cec-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- Datta, Sudip & Iskandar-Datta, Mai & Patel, Ajay, 1999. "Bank monitoring and the pricing of corporate public debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 435-449, March.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Cantillo, Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2000.
"How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 155-89.
- Miguel Cantillo and Julian Wright., 2000. "How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-256-Rev, University of California at Berkeley.
- Miguel Cantillo & Julian Wright, 1998. "How Do Firms Choose Their Lenders? An Empirical Investigation," Finance 9803007, EconWPA.
- Cantillo, Miguel & Wright, Julian, 2000. "HOw Do Firms Choose Their Leaders? An Empirical Investigation," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt8sd393sj, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Athanasios Orphanides & Steven A. Sharpe, 1994.
"Leverage as a state variable for employment, inventory accumulation, and fixed investment,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles W. Calomiris & Athanasios Orphanides & Steven A. Sharpe, 1994. "Leverage as a State Variable for Employment, Inventory Accumulation, andFixed Investment," NBER Working Papers 4800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- David E. Weinstein & Yishay Yafeh, 1998. "On the Costs of a Bank-Centered Financial System: Evidence from the Changing Main Bank Relations in Japan," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 635-672, 04.
- Shockley, Richard L & Thakor, Anjan V, 1997. "Bank Loan Commitment Contracts: Data, Theory, and Tests," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(4), pages 517-34, November.
- Takeo Hoshi, 1994. "Evolution of the Main Bank System in Japan," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0046, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & Gary Loveman, 1993.
"Lessons from the Japanese main bank system for financial system reform in Poland,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
93-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil K. Kashyap & Gary W. Loveman, 1992. "Lessons from the Japanese main bank system for financial system reform in Poland," Proceedings 382, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Berlin, Mitchell & John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony, 1996.
"Bank Equity Stakes in Borrowing Firms and Financial Distress,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(3), pages 889-919.
- Mitchell Berlin & Kose John & Anthony Saunders, 1995. "Bank equity stakes in borrowing firms and financial distress," Working Papers 96-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1986. "Valuation effects of security offerings and the issuance process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 31-60.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:11:y:2005:i:1:p:75-92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.