Comparison of Two Methods of Identifying Input-Output Coefficients for Exogenous Estimation
Input-output (IO) updating research indicates substantial improvements in the forecasts when some of the coefficients have been exogenously estimated and included in the updating process. Several methods for identifying the appropriate subsets have been proposed. The present paper attempts to assess the relative performances of two such approaches: 'the largest coefficients' and 'the most important parameters' criteria. Utilizing these criteria, a set of coefficients from the 1966 IO table of the former Soviet Union were selected and exogenously determined. The remaining coefficients were updated to 1972 by means of naive, RAS, and Lagrangian techniques. Comparison of the results with the 1972 benchmark table provided the desired answers.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CESR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F J Harrigan & J W McGilvray & I H McNicoll, 1980. "Simulating the Structure of a Regional Economy," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 12(8), pages 927-936, August.
- Parikh, Ashok, 1979. "Forecasts of Input-Output Matrices Using the R.A.S. Method," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(3), pages 477-81, August.
- West, G R, 1982. "Sensitivity and Key Sector Analysis in Input-Output Models," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(39), pages 365-78, December.
- F J Harrigan & J W McGilvray & I H McNicoll, 1980. "Simulating the structure of a regional economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(8), pages 927-936, August.
- Bullard, Clark W, III & Sebald, Anthony V, 1977. "Effects of Parametric Uncertainty and Technological Change on Input-Output Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 75-81, February.
- Bullard, Clark W & Sebald, Anthony V, 1988. "Monte Carlo Sensitivity Analysis of Input-Output Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 708-12, November.
- R C Jensen & G R West, 1980. "The effect of relative coefficient size on input - output multipliers," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(6), pages 659-670, June.
- Mun-Heng Toh, 1998. "The RAS Approach in Updating Input-Output Matrices: An Instrumental Variable Interpretation and Analysis of Structural Change," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 63-78.
- Allen, R I G, 1974. "Some Experiments with the RAS Method of Updating Input-Output Coefficients," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 36(3), pages 215-28, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ecsysr:v:12:y:2000:i:1:p:113-129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.