Macroeconomic effects of Catalan fiscal deficit with the Spanish state (2002-2010)
According to Eurostat Regional data for the period 1996-1999 Catalan convergence with the EU's most dynamic regions has been blocked. In this paper, with the aim to analyse how Catalonia can converge with the EU in the forthcoming years, some simulations of Catalan GDP growth in the 2010 horizon have been estimated, considering different reduction scenarios of Catalan fiscal deficit with the Spanish state (between 7-9% of Catalan yearly GDP). Looking at the results obtained, the current Catalan stagnation will persist for the next few years if the above-mentioned fiscal deficit does not change. Thus, Catalonia will only converge with most dynamic EU regions if there is a significant reduction of Catalan fiscal deficit with the Spanish state.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 1999.
"An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output,"
NBER Working Papers
7269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 2002. "An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1329-1368.
- Alberto Abadie & Javier Gardeazabal, 2001.
"The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country,"
NBER Working Papers
8478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abadie, Alberto & Gardeazabal, Javier, 2001. "The Economic Costs of Conflict: A Case-Control Study for the Basque Country," Working Paper Series rwp01-048, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Ramon Tremosa-i-Balcells, 2003. "Spanish Regions and the Macroeconomic Benefits of the European Monetary Union," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 217-226.
- Joan Costa-i-Font & Ramon Tremosa-i-Balcells, . "Spanish Regions and the Macroeconomic Benefits of European Monetary Union (EMU)," Studies on the Spanish Economy 89, FEDEA.
- Stefan Mittnik & Thorsten Neumann, 2001. "Dynamic effects of public investment: Vector autoregressive evidence from six industrialized countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 429-446.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2002. "The Economic Consequences of a War with Iraq," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1387, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:37:y:2005:i:13:p:1455-1463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.