Growth of regional economy and income inequality: county-level evidence from Florida, USA
The purpose of this paper is to find the homogeneous groups and growth factors of Florida's counties through factor analysis and cluster analysis from data sets from 1979 and 2000 and to grasp the relationship between income inequality and growth by cluster using the derived growth factors. The numbers of factors divided through factor analysis were three, and six groups were obtained from cluster analysis. County-level evidence of this paper indicates that GI_DI and SIN have a strong effect and are statistically significant to the growth rate. Results for income inequality by county and region indicate significant differences between counties, including counties where agriculture accomplishes the primary main function. Therefore, government should adopt the following policies: minimum wage, unemployment insurance, local or state tax policies, income support programmes, and tax reform.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saint-Paul, Gilles & Verdier, Thierry, 1992.
"Education, Democracy and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
613, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1991.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1988.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
51644, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 1989.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1994.
"Is Inequality Harmful for Growth?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(3), pages 600-621, June.
- Galor, O. & Tsiddon, D., 1996.
"Technological Progress, Mobility and Economic Growth,"
13-96, Tel Aviv.
- Galor, Oded & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1997. "Technological Progress, Mobility, and Economic Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 363-382, June.
- Galor, Oded & Tsiddon, Daniel, 1996. "Technological Progress, Mobility, and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1413, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Sen, Amartya & Starrett, David, 1973. "Notes on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 180-187, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:36:y:2004:i:2:p:173-183. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.