Determinants of corporate capital structure: evidence from Hungarian firms
This paper investigates the capital structure of Hungarian firms using a cross-section and a panel data approach. The data set is composed of balance sheet data and information on market structure for 1100 firms from 1992 to 1996. Evidence is found of imperfections that constrain firms in the achievement of their optimal capital structure, but also some positive indications: there are no distortions typical of the planned system and no signs of the presence of soft budget constraints.
Volume (Year): 33 (2001)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
- Guanqun Tong & Christopher Green, 2005. "Pecking order or trade-off hypothesis? Evidence on the capital structure of Chinese companies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(19), pages 2179-2189.
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:559-571 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nhung, Lai Thi Phuong & Okuda, Hidenobu, 2015. "Effects of state ownership on companies’ capital structure and profitability: Estimation analysis before and after the Lehman shock," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 64-78.
- repec:eee:intfin:v:48:y:2017:i:c:p:1-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morar Triandafil, Cristina & Poanta, Dorina, 2011. "Central and East European Corporate Finance: Between Commonality and Heterogeneity," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 132-161, September.
- Ivan Stoykov & Paraskeva Dimitrova, 2003. "Modelling Firm Activity," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 3-24.
- Adalgiso Amendola & Anna Maria Ferragina & Rosanna Pittiglio & Filippo Reganati, 2012. "Are exporters and multinational firms more resilient over a crisis? First evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Italy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 1914-1926.
- Natalia Isachenkova & Tomasz Marek Mickiewicz, 2003.
"Ownership Characteristics and Access to Finance: Evidence from a Survey of Large Privatised Companies in Hungary and Poland,"
UCL SSEES Economics and Business working paper series
35, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES).
- Natalia Isachenkova & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2004. "Ownership Characteristics and Access to Finance: Evidence from a Survey of Large Privatised Companies in Hungary and Poland," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-666, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Erdinc Karadeniz & Serkan Yilmaz Kandir & Omer Iskenderoglu & Yildirim Beyazit Onal, 2011. "Firm Size and Capital Structure Decisions: Evidence From Turkish Lodging Companies," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 1(1), pages 1-11.
- Calin Valsan, 2005. "The Determinants of Borrowing by Newly Exchange-listed Firms in Romania: When Adverse Selection Meets Cronyism," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 109-123.
- Guariglia, Alessandra & Mateut, Simona, 2010. "Inventory investment, global engagement, and financial constraints in the UK: Evidence from micro data," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 239-250, March.
- Simona Mateut & Alessandra Guariglia, "undated". "Inventory Investment, Global Engagement, and Financial Constraints in the UK: Evidence from Micro Data," Discussion Papers 09/09, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Tomasz Mickiewicz & Kate Bishop & Urmas Varblane, 2004. "Financial Constraints in Investment - Foreign Versus Domestic Firms. Panel Data Results From Estonia, 1995-1999," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-648, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Oino, Isaiah & Ukaegbu, Ben, 2015. "The impact of profitability on capital structure and speed of adjustment: An empirical examination of selected firms in Nigerian Stock Exchange," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 111-121.
- Cziráki, Péter, 2007. "A tőkestruktúra empirikus vizsgálata a magyar és az osztrák tőzsdén jegyzett vállalatok körében
[An empirical investigation of the capital structure of Austrian and Hungarian listed companies]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 703-715.
- Emilio Colombo & Luca Stanca, 2003. "Investment Decisions and the Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence from Hungarian Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers 68, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2003.
- Colombo, Emilio & Stanca, Luca, 2006. "Investment decisions and the soft budget constraint: evidence from Hungarian manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 18708, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Klapper, Leora & Sarria-Allende, Virginia & Zaidi, Rida, 2006. "A firm-level analysis of small and medium size enterprise financing in Poland," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3984, The World Bank.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013. "The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 127, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmaz, 2013. "The Impact Of Fdi On Firm Survival And Employment: A Comparative Analysis For Turkey And Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1211, European Regional Science Association.
- Víctor M. González & Francisco González, 2011. "Firm size and capital structure: Evidence using dynamic panel data," Post-Print hal-00730234, HAL.
- Voutsinas, Konstantinos & Werner, Richard A., 2011. "Credit supply and corporate capital structure: Evidence from Japan," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 320-334.
- Kevin Campbell, 2002. "Ownership Structure and the Operating Performance of Hungarian Firms," UCL SSEES Economics and Business working paper series 9, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES).
- Balla, Andrea, 2006. "Tőkeszerkezeti döntések - empirikus elemzés a magyar feldolgozóipari vállalatokról 1992-2001 között
[Decisions affecting capital structure - an empirical analysis of Hungarian manufacturing firms i," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 681-700.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:33:y:2001:i:13:p:1689-1701. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed