The impact of fuel tourism on retailers’ diesel price in Spanish neighbouring regions
Since 1986, car fuel consumption in Spain has been subject to the Special Hydrocarbons Tax and the Value Added Tax. In addition, since 2002 regional governments have been able to apply a regional excise duty on hydrocarbons. This article analyses the impact that such a regional tax has on the retailer's diesel price at the border of the province of Lugo (in the region of Galicia) and the province of Leon (in the region of Castile Leon) (only the former region has the regional tax). Evidence shows that variations in the price of diesel at the border of Lugo are of the same sign but of lower intensity than at the border of Leon (the price--price elasticity is 0.8060). These results suggest that service stations located in regions with higher excise duties use their price policy to lessen the negative effects generated for fuel tourism.
Volume (Year): 45 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- FitzGerald, John & Bergin, Adele & Conefrey, Thomas & Diffney, Sean & Duffy, David & Kearney, Ide & Lyons, Sean & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura & Mayor, Karen & Richard S. J. Tol, 2008. "Medium-Term Review 2008-2015, No. 11," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR11, December.
- Asplund, Marcus & Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2007.
"Demand and distance: Evidence on cross-border shopping,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 141-157, February.
- Asplund, Björn Marcus & Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2005. "Demand and Distance: Evidence on Cross-Border Shopping," CEPR Discussion Papers 4983, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friberg, Richard & Asplund, Marcus & Wilander, Fredrik, 2005. "Demand and Distance: Evidence on Cross-Border Shopping," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 587, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Mark D. Manuszak & Charles C. Moul, 2009. "How Far for a Buck? Tax Differences and the Location of Retail Gasoline Activity in Southeast Chicagoland," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(4), pages 744-765, November.
- Leal, Andrés & López-Laborda, Julio & Rodrigo, Fernando, 2009. "Prices, taxes and automotive fuel cross-border shopping," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 225-234.
- Ravi Kanbur & Michael Keen, 1991.
"Jeux Sans Frontieres: Tax Competition and Tax Coordination when Countries Differ in Size,"
819, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael, 1993. "Jeux Sans Frontieres: Tax Competition and Tax Coordination When Countries Differ in Size," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 877-92, September.
- Christiansen, Vidar, 1994. " Cross-Border Shopping and the Optimum Commodity Tax in a Competitive and a Monopoly Market," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(3), pages 329-41.
- Rietveld, P. & Bruinsma, F. R. & van Vuuren, D. J., 2001. "Spatial graduation of fuel taxes; consequences for cross-border and domestic fuelling," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 433-457, June.
- LUCAS, Vander, .
"Cross-border shopping in a federal economy,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1791, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Livio Di Matteo, 1999. "Using alternative methods to estimate the determinants of cross-border trips," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(1), pages 77-88.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2010.
"Diesel price convergence and mineral oil taxation in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(15), pages 1955-1961.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2007. "Diesel price convergence and mineral oil taxation in Europe," Working Papers CIE 5, Paderborn University, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2007. "Diesel price convergence and mineral oil taxation in Europe," KOF Working papers 07-182, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Banfi, Silvia & Filippini, Massimo & Hunt, Lester C., 2005. "Fuel tourism in border regions: The case of Switzerland," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 689-707, September.
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael & Winner, Hannes, 2005. "Commodity taxation in a 'linear' world: a spatial panel data approach," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 527-541, September.
- You-Qiang Wang, 1999. "Commodity Taxes under Fiscal Competition: Stackelberg Equilibrium and Optimality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 974-981, September.
- James Alm & Edward Sennoga & Mark Skidmore, 2009. "Perfect Competition, Urbanization, And Tax Incidence In The Retail Gasoline Market," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 47(1), pages 118-134, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:45:y:2013:i:4:p:407-413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.