On the relative efficiency of nth order and DARA stochastic dominance rules
It is known that third order stochastic dominance implies DARA dominance while no implications exist between higher orders and DARA dominance. A recent contribution points out that, with regard to the problem of determining lower and upper bounds for the price of a financial option, the DARA rule turns out to improve the stochastic dominance criteria of any order. In this paper the relative efficiency of the ordinary stochastic dominance and DARA criteria for alternatives with discrete distributions are compared, in order to see if the better performance of DARA criterion is also suitable for other practical applications. Moreover, the operational use of the stochastic dominance techniques for financial choices is deepened.
Volume (Year): 4 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, G & Levy, Haim, 1969. "The Efficiency Analysis of Choices Involving Risk," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(107), pages 335-46, July.
- John S. Hammond, III, 1974. "Simplifying the Choice between Uncertain Prospects Where Preference is Nonlinear," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(7), pages 1047-1072, March.
- Jean, William H, 1984. " The Harmonic Mean and Other Necessary Conditions for Stochastic Dominance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(2), pages 527-34, June.
- Whitmore, G A, 1970. "Third-Degree Stochastic Dominance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 457-59, June.
- Levy, Haim, 1994. "Absolute and Relative Risk Aversion: An Experimental Study," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 289-307, May.
- Ben-Horim, Moshe, 1990. "Stochastic Dominance and Truncated Sample Data," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 105-16, Summer.
- Jean, William H, 1980. " The Geometric Mean and Stochastic Dominance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Vickson, R. G., 1975. "Stochastic Dominance for Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 799-811, December.
- Joy, O. Maurice & Porter, R. Burr, 1974. "Stochastic Dominance and Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 25-31, January.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Antonella Basso & Paolo Pianca, 1997. "Decreasing Absolute Risk Aversion and Option Pricing Bounds," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(2), pages 206-216, February.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:4:y:1997:i:4:p:207-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.