Bonds and Options in Exponentially Affine Bond Models
In this article we apply the Flesaker--Hughston approach to invert the yield curve and to price various options by letting the randomness in the economy be driven by a process closely related to the short rate, called the abstract short rate. This process is a pure deterministic translation of the short rate itself, and we use the deterministic shift to calibrate the models to the initial yield curve. We show that we can solve for the shift needed in closed form by transforming the problem to a new probability measure. Furthermore, when the abstract short rate follows a Cox--Ingersoll--Ross (CIR) process we compute bond option and swaption prices in closed form. We also propose a short-rate specification under the risk-neutral measure that allows the yield curve to be inverted and is consistent with the CIR dynamics for the abstract short rate, thus giving rise to closed form bond option and swaption prices.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-209, March.
- Farshid Jamshidian, 1996. "Bond, futures and option evaluation in the quadratic interest rate model," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 93-115.
- Erik Schlogl & Lutz Schlogl, 2000.
"A square root interest rate model fitting discrete initial term structure data,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 183-209.
- Erik Schlögl & Lutz Schlögl, 1999. "A Square-Root Interest Rate Model Fitting Discrete Initial Term Structure Data," Research Paper Series 24, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-1029, December.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Damiano Brigo & Fabio Mercurio, 2001. "A deterministic-shift extension of analytically-tractable and time-homogeneous short-rate models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 369-387. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:19:y:2012:i:6:p:513-534. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.