Optimization of technical rules by genetic algorithms: evidence from the Madrid stock market
This paper investigates the profitability of a simple and very common technical trading rule applied to the General Index of the Madrid Stock Market. The optimal trading rule parameter values are found using a genetic algorithm. The results suggest that, for reasonable trading costs, the technical trading rule is always superior to a risk-adjusted buy-and-hold strategy.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Chan, Kalok, 1995. "The profitability of technical trading rules in the Asian stock markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 257-284, July.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
" Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991. "Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns," Working papers 90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Allen, Franklin & Karjalainen, Risto, 1999. "Using genetic algorithms to find technical trading rules," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 245-271, February.
- Fernández-Rodríguez & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Julián Andrada-Félix, .
"Technical analysis in the Madrid stock exchange,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:11:p:773-775. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.