Inequality factor decomposition under uniform additions property with applications to Cameroonian rural data
In this article, we generalize and extend the Morduch and Sicular's (2002) Coefficient of Variation (CV)-squared decomposition approach. This leads to a class of decomposition methods which satisfy the uniform additions principle, especially in the case of the Gini index. The regression-based method using the new formulations of component contributions is carried out. An application using Cameroonian data is provided to support the appropriateness of the procedure and to contrast our results to those of Morduch and Sicular.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 14 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wan, Guanghua, 2002. "Regression-based Inequality Decomposition: Pitfalls and a Solution Procedure," WIDER Working Paper Series 101, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 2002.
"Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, With Evidence from Rural China,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(476), pages 93-106, January.
- Jonathan Morduch & Terry Sicular, 1998. "Rethinking Inequality Decomposition, with Evidence from Rural China," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1831, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Frank Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2006. "Rethinking inequality decomposition: comment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3782, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank A Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2006. "Rethinking Inequality Decomposition:Comment," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 82, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Lerman, Robert I & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1985. "Income Inequality Effects by Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 151-156, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:19:y:2012:i:14:p:1365-1371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.