P-splines quantile regression estimation in varying coefficient models
Quantile regression, as a generalization of median regression, has been widely used in statistical modeling. To allow for analyzing complex data situations, several flexible regression models have been introduced. Among these are the varying coefficient models, that differ from a classical linear regression model by the fact that the regression coefficients are no longer constant but functions that vary with the value taken by another variable, such as for example, time. In this paper, we study quantile regression in varying coefficient models for longitudinal data. The quantile function is modeled as a function of the covariates and the main task is to estimate the unknown regression coefficient functions. We approximate each coefficient function by means of P-splines. Theoretical properties of the estimators, such as rate of convergence and an asymptotic distribution are established. The estimation methodology requests solving an optimization problem that also involves a smoothing parameter. For a special case the optimization problem can be transformed into a linear programming problem for which then a Frisch–Newton interior point method is used, leading to a computationally fast and efficient procedure. Several data-driven choices of the smoothing parameters are briefly discussed, and their performances are illustrated in a simulation study. Some real data analysis demonstrates the use of the developed method. Copyright Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa 2014
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.seio.es/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/11749/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Youjuan & Liu, Yufeng & Zhu, Ji, 2007. "Quantile Regression in Reproducing Kernel Hilbert Spaces," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 255-268, March.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Jianhua Z. Huang, 2002. "Varying-coefficient models and basis function approximations for the analysis of repeated measurements," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(1), pages 111-128, March.
- Zou, Hui & Yuan, Ming, 2008. "Regularized simultaneous model selection in multiple quantiles regression," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(12), pages 5296-5304, August.
- Zhang, Wenyang & Lee, Sik-Yum & Song, Xinyuan, 2002. "Local Polynomial Fitting in Semivarying Coefficient Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 166-188, July.
- Bang, Sungwan & Jhun, Myoungshic, 2012. "Simultaneous estimation and factor selection in quantile regression via adaptive sup-norm regularization," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 813-826.
- Wang, Lifeng & Li, Hongzhe & Huang, Jianhua Z., 2008. "Variable Selection in Nonparametric Varying-Coefficient Models for Analysis of Repeated Measurements," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1556-1569.
- Anestis Antoniadis & Irène Gijbels & Mila Nikolova, 2011. "Penalized likelihood regression for generalized linear models with non-quadratic penalties," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 63(3), pages 585-615, June.
- Lamarche, Carlos, 2010. "Robust penalized quantile regression estimation for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 396-408, August.
- Koenker, Roger, 2004. "Quantile regression for longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 74-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:testjl:v:23:y:2014:i:1:p:153-194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.