Franchise failure: a reassessment of the Bates (1995) results
Franchising is often touted as a safe route to business ownership in the service arena. Yet findings by Bates (J Small Bus Manage 33(2):26–36, 1995 ) suggest that franchising may be a riskier alternative for prospective business owners than starting a non-franchised business. We contend that this conclusion is inappropriate because flaws in Bates’ study lend themselves to alternative interpretations of his results. The most critical flaws and plausible alternative interpretations are explained, and implications for prospective business owners are discussed. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2007
Volume (Year): 1 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.panpacificbusiness.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business/journal/11628|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bates, Timothy, 1998.
"Survival patterns among newcomers to franchising,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 113-130, March.
- Timothy Bates, 1997. "Survival Patterns Among Newcomers To Franchising," Working Papers 97-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Timothy Bates, 1997. "Survival Patterns Among Newcomers to Franchising," Working Papers 97-1, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Holmberg, Stevan R. & Morgan, Kathryn Boe, 2003. "Franchise turnover and failure: New research and perspectives," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 403-418, May.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-670, May.
- Alfred R Nucci & Timothy Bates, 1990. "An Analysis of Small Business Size and Rate of Discontinuance," Working Papers 90-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:svcbiz:v:1:y:2007:i:3:p:247-256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.