Temporal aggregation of cyclical models with business cycle applications
This paper focuses on temporal aggregation of the cyclical component model as introduced by Harvey (1989). More specifically, it provides the properties of the aggregate process for any generic period of aggregation. As a consequence, the exact link between aggregate and disaggregate parameters can be easily derived. The cyclical model is important due to its relevance in the analysis of business cycle. Given this, two empirical applications are presented in order to compare the estimated parameters of the quarterly models for German and US gross domestic products with those of the corresponding models aggregated to annual frequency.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.sis-statistica.it/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/10260/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weiss, Andrew A., 1984. "Systematic sampling and temporal aggregation in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 271-281, December.
- Alessandra Luati & Tommaso Proietti, 2010.
"Hyper-spherical and elliptical stochastic cycles,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 169-181, 05.
- Luati, Alessandra & Proietti, Tommaso, 2009. "Hyper-spherical and Elliptical Stochastic Cycles," MPRA Paper 15169, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Silvestrini & David Veredas, 2008. "Temporal Aggregation Of Univariate And Multivariate Time Series Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 458-497, 07.
- SILVESTRINI, Andrea & VEREDAS, David, "undated". "Temporal aggregation of univariate and multivariate time series models: A survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andrea Silvestrini & David Veredas, 2008. "Temporal aggregation of univariate and multivariate time series models: A survey," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 685, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Andrea Silvestrini & David Veredas, 2008. "Temporal aggregation of univariate and multivariate time series models: a survey," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136205, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hassler, Uwe, 2011. "Estimation of fractional integration under temporal aggregation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 240-247, June.
- Uwe Hassler, 2011. "Estimation of fractional integration under temporal aggregation," Post-Print hal-00815563, HAL.
- [Reference to Proietti], Tommaso, 2000. "Comparing seasonal components for structural time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 247-260.
- Brewer, K. R. W., 1973. "Some consequences of temporal aggregation and systematic sampling for ARMA and ARMAX models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-154, June.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981. "Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Discussion Papers 451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Giacomo Sbrana, 2011. "Structural time series models and aggregation: some analytical results," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(3), pages 315-316, 05.
- Peter K. Clark, 1987. "The Cyclical Component of U. S. Economic Activity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(4), pages 797-814. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)