Attitudes to Chronic Poverty in the ‘Global Village’
The paper explores attitudes to chronic poverty in a cross-section of developed and developing countries based on data from the World Values Survey Wave Three (1994-1998). The analysis finds a consistent belief among a majority of respondents that poverty is chronic. This paper also explores the factors that influence public attitudes to chronic poverty and finds that interests, position, knowledge, and shared values relating to social justice are important.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & George-Marios Angeletos, 2004.
"Fairness and Redistribution,"
122247000000000283, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Angeletos, George-Marios & Alesina, Alberto, 2005. "Fairness and Redistribution," Scholarly Articles 4553009, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & George-Marios Angeletos, 2004. "Fairness and Redistribution," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 122247000000000306, www.najecon.org.
- Kohnert, Dirk, 2009.
"Democratisation via elections in an African 'narco state'? The case of Guinea-Bissau,"
19109, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kohnert, Dirk, 2010. "Democratisation via elections in an African 'narco state'? The case of Guinea-Bissau," EconStor Preprints 118635, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Dirk Kohner, 2010. "Democratization via Elections in an African “Narco-state”? The Case of Guinea-Bissau," GIGA Working Paper Series 123, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Alberto Chong & Mark Gradstein, 2006.
"Who’s Afraid of Foreign Aid? The Donors’ Perspective,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1833, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mark Gradstein & Alberto E. Chong, 2006. "Who's Afraid of Foreign Aid?: The Donors' Perspective," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6706, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alberto Chong & Mark Gradstein, 2006. "Who's Afraid of Foreign Aid? The Donors' Perspective," Research Department Publications 4452, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hayati, Dariush & Karami, Ezatollah, 2005. "Typology of causes of poverty: The perception of Iranian farmers," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 884-901, December.
- Federica Misturelli & Claire Heffernan, 2001. "Perceptions of poverty among poor livestock keepers in Kenya: a discourse analysis approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 863-875.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:100:y:2011:i:1:p:101-114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.