Diversity as width
It is argued that if a finite partially ordered population is given, and incomparability is taken as the relevant type of dissimilarity, then diversity comparisons between subpopulations may be conveniently based on widths namely on the maximum number of pairwise incomparable units they include. We introduce two width-based rankings. The first one is the plain width-ranking of subposets as induced by width computation. The second one is the undominated width-ranking of subposets namely the ranking induced by the sizes of undominated subposets. Simple axiomatic characterizations of the foregoing rankings are provided. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grabisch, Michel, 2006.
"Representation of preferences over a finite scale by a mean operator,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 131-151, September.
- Michel Grabisch, 2006. "Representation of preferences over a finite scale by a mean operator," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00179069, HAL.
- Martin van Hees, 2004. "Freedom of choice and diversity of options: Some difficulties," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 253-266, 02.
- Nicolas Gravel & Sebastian Bervoets, 2004.
"Appraising Diversity with an Ordinal Notion of Similarity: An Axiomatic Approach,"
2004.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bervoets, Sebastian & Gravel, Nicolas, 2007. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: An axiomatic approach," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 259-273, May.
- Sebastian Bervoets & Nicolas Gravel, 2003. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: an Axiomatic approach," IDEP Working Papers 0308, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, .
"On Preference and Freedom,"
96/1, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 1995. "On preference and Freedom," The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management 95-1a, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000.
"On diversity and freedom of choice,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 123-130, September.
- Barbera, S. & Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Stefano Vannucci, 2006. "On Concept Lattices of Efficiently Solvable Voting Protocols," Department of Economics University of Siena 489, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1992.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 363-405, May.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1991. "On Diversity," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1553, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2003. "Diversity and dissimilarity in lines and hierarchies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 167-183, April.
- BOSSERT, Walter & PATTANAIK, Prasanta K. & XU, Yongsheng, 2001.
"The Measurement of Diversity,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Vito Peragine & Antonio Romero-Medina, 2006.
"On Preference, Freedom and Diversity,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 29-40, August.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998. "The Noah's Ark Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1279-1298, November.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1992. "Diversity Functions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1610, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nehring,K. und C.Puppe, 1999.
"A Theory of Diversity,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
605, University of Bonn, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:40:y:2013:i:3:p:913-936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.