Diversity as width
It is argued that if a finite partially ordered population is given, and incomparability is taken as the relevant type of dissimilarity, then diversity comparisons between subpopulations may be conveniently based on widths namely on the maximum number of pairwise incomparable units they include. We introduce two width-based rankings. The first one is the plain width-ranking of subposets as induced by width computation. The second one is the undominated width-ranking of subposets namely the ranking induced by the sizes of undominated subposets. Simple axiomatic characterizations of the foregoing rankings are provided. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/355|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grabisch, Michel, 2006.
"Representation of preferences over a finite scale by a mean operator,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 131-151, September.
- Michel Grabisch, 2006. "Representation of preferences over a finite scale by a mean operator," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00179069, HAL.
- BOSSERT, Walter & PATTANAIK, Prasanta K. & XU, Yongsheng, 2001.
"The Measurement of Diversity,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1992.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 363-405.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1991. "On Diversity," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1553, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nehring,K. und C.Puppe, 1999.
"A Theory of Diversity,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
605, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Prasanta Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu, 1998.
"On Preference and Freedom,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 173-198, April.
- Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 1995. "On preference and Freedom," The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management 95-1a, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, "undated". "On Preference and Freedom," Discussion Papers 96/1, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1992. "Diversity Functions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1610, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Vito Peragine & Antonio Romero-Medina, 2001.
"On Preference, Freedom and Diversity,"
0003, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Nov 2001.
- Barbera, S. & Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Nicolas Gravel & Sebastian Bervoets, 2004.
"Appraising Diversity with an Ordinal Notion of Similarity: An Axiomatic Approach,"
2004.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bervoets, Sebastian & Gravel, Nicolas, 2007. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: An axiomatic approach," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 259-273, May.
- Sebastian Bervoets & Nicolas Gravel, 2003. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: an Axiomatic approach," IDEP Working Papers 0308, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2003. "Diversity and dissimilarity in lines and hierarchies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 167-183, April.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, "undated".
"On Diversity and Freedom of Choice,"
97/18, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Stefano Vannucci, 2006. "On Concept Lattices of Efficiently Solvable Voting Protocols," Department of Economics University of Siena 489, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Martin van Hees, 2004. "Freedom of choice and diversity of options: Some difficulties," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 22(1), pages 253-266, 02.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998. "The Noah's Ark Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1279-1298, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:sochwe:v:40:y:2013:i:3:p:913-936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.