Conceptions of freedom and ranking opportunity sets. A typology
A wide diversity of rankings of opportunity sets are characterized through what is now commonly called the freedom of choice literature. We claim the normative content of each of these propositions can be analyzed and clari¯ed through a typology. We distinguish two kinds of rankings: rankings according to one prudential value and rankings according to several prudential values. In the ¯rst case, we present rankings according to freedom. Different rankings correspond to different meanings of freedom: freedom of choice, freedom as autonomy, freedom as exercise of significant choices, negative freedom, positive freedom and utility. In the second case, the rankings may capture meanwhile different prudential values, namely utility and freedom. We organize the presentation around different forms of commensurability between prudential values: weighting, trumping, equal consideration and discontinuity.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) – Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 RENNES Cedex|
Phone: 02 23 23 35 47
Fax: (33) 2 23 23 35 99
Web page: http://crem.univ-rennes1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: CREM (UMR CNRS 6211) - Faculty of Economics, 7 place Hoche, 35065 Rennes Cedex - France|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arlegi, R. & Besada, M. & Nieto, J. & Vazquez, C., 2005. "Freedom of choice: the leximax criterion in the infinite case," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 2001.
"The Measurement of Diversity,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-17, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BARBERA, Salvador & BOSSERT, Walter & PATTANAIK, Prasanta K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nehring,K. und C.Puppe, 1999.
"A Theory of Diversity,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
605, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Felix E. Oppenheim, 2004. "Social freedom: Definition, measurability, valuation," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 22(1), pages 175-185, 02.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2006.
"Conceptions of freedom and ranking opportunity sets. A typology,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
200611, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2007. "Conceptions of freedom and ranking opportunity sets. A typology," Post-Print halshs-00294466, HAL.
- Martin van Hees, 2004. "Freedom of choice and diversity of options: Some difficulties," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 22(1), pages 253-266, 02.
- Romero-Medina, Antonio, 1998.
"More on preference and freedom,"
UC3M Working papers. Economics
4140, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Kreps, David M, 1979. "A Representation Theorem for "Preference for Flexibility"," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 565-577, May.
- Sugden, Robert, 1985. "Liberty, Preference, and Choice," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 213-229, October.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000. "On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Economic Environments," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 48-71, July.
- Nicolas Gravel & Sebastian Bervoets, 2004.
"Appraising Diversity with an Ordinal Notion of Similarity: An Axiomatic Approach,"
2004.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Bervoets, Sebastian & Gravel, Nicolas, 2007. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: An axiomatic approach," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 259-273, May.
- Sebastian Bervoets & Nicolas Gravel, 2003. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: an Axiomatic approach," IDEP Working Papers 0308, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Ian Carter, 2004. "Choice, freedom, and freedom of choice," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 22(1), pages 61-81, 02.
- Walter Bossert, 1996.
"Opportunity sets and individual well-being,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 14(1), pages 97-112.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, "undated".
"On Diversity and Freedom of Choice,"
97/18, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Sen, Amartya, 1991. "Welfare, preference and freedom," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 15-29, October.
- Sebastiano Bavetta & Marco Del Seta, 2001. "Constraints and the Measurement of Freedom of Choice," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 213-238, May.
- Bossert Walter & Pattanaik Prasanta K. & Xu Yongsheng, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets: An Axiomatic Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 326-345, August.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 1999. " The Distribution and Redistribution of Opportunity," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 37-69, February.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994.
"Ranking Opportunity Sets on the Basis of their Freedom of Choice and their Ability to Satisfy Preferences : A Difficulty,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1994008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Nicolas Gravel, 1998. "Ranking opportunity sets on the basis of their freedom of choice and their ability to satisfy preferences: A difficulty," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 15(3), pages 371-382.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994. "Can a Ranking of Opportunity Sets Attach an Intrinsic Importance to Freedom of Choice?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 454-458, May.
- Arlegi, Ricardo & Nieto, Jorge, 2001. "Incomplete preferences and the preference for flexibility," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 151-165, March.
- Haslett, D. W., 1990. "What is Utility?," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 65-94, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tut:cremwp:200611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CODA-POIREY Hélène)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.