A quantitative discursive dilemma
The typical judgment aggregation problem in economics and other fields is the following: A group of people has to judge (estimate) the value of an uncertain variable y which is a function of k other variables, i.e. y = D(x1,...xk) . We analyze when it is possible for the group to arrive at collective judgments on the variables that respect D. We consider aggregators that fulfill Arrow's IIA-condition and neutrality. We show how possibility and impossibility depend on the functional form of D, and generalize Pettit's (2001) binary discursive dilemma. (revised ed. 2008)
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/355|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- List, Christian & Pettit, Philip, 2002. "Aggregating Sets of Judgments: An Impossibility Result," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 89-110, April.
- Franz Dietrich, 2007. "A generalised model of judgment aggregation," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 28(4), pages 529-565, June.
- Carl Andreas Claussen & Øistein Røisland, 2005. "Collective economic decisions and the discursive dilemma," Working Paper 2005/3, Norges Bank.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Fishburn, Peter C., 1986. "Algebraic aggregation theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-77, February.
- Mongin Philippe, 1995.
"Consistent Bayesian Aggregation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 313-351, August.
- Mongin, P., "undated". "Consistent Bayesian aggregation," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1176, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MONGIN, Philippe, 1993. "Consistent Bayesian Aggregation," CORE Discussion Papers 1993019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).