A quantitative discursive dilemma
The typical judgment aggregation problem in economics and other fields is the following: A group of people has to judge (estimate) the value of an uncertain variable y which is a function of k other variables, i.e. y = D(x1,...xk) . We analyze when it is possible for the group to arrive at collective judgments on the variables that respect D. We consider aggregators that fulfill Arrow's IIA-condition and neutrality. We show how possibility and impossibility depend on the functional form of D, and generalize Pettit's (2001) binary discursive dilemma. (revised ed. 2008)
|Date of creation:||14 Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:||24 Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +47 22 31 60 00
Fax: +47 22 41 31 05
Web page: http://www.norges-bank.no/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franz Dietrich, 2005.
"Judgment aggregation in general logics,"
- Mongin Philippe, 1995.
"Consistent Bayesian Aggregation,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 313-351, August.
- MONGIN, Philippe, 1993. "Consistent Bayesian Aggregation," CORE Discussion Papers 1993019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mongin, P., . "Consistent Bayesian aggregation," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1176, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- List, Christian & Pettit, Philip, 2002. "Aggregating Sets of Judgments: An Impossibility Result," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 89-110, April.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Fishburn, Peter C., 1986. "Algebraic aggregation theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-77, February.
- Carl Andreas Claussen & Øistein Røisland, 2005. "Collective economic decisions and the discursive dilemma," Working Paper 2005/3, Norges Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bno:worpap:2007_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.