Can we identify Walrasian allocations?
We consider a discrete time, pure exchange infinite horizon economy with $ n\geq 2$ consumers and $\ell \geq 1$ consumption goods per period. Within the framework of decentralized mechanisms, we show that for any given consumption trade at any period of time, say at time one, the consumers will need in general an infinite dimensional (informational) space to identify such a trade as an intertemporal Walrasian one. However, we show a set of environments where the Walrasian trades at each period of time can be achieved as the equilibrium trades of a sequence of decentralized competitive mechanisms, using only both current prices and quantities to coordinate decisions.
Volume (Year): 7 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Note:||Received: 1 December 1999 / Accepted: 31 October 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10058/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 1985.
"Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 433-53, March.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1982. "Comparitive Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," UCLA Economics Working Papers 259, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Timothy J Kehoe & David K Levine, 1985. "Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1873, David K. Levine.
- T. J. Kehoe & D. K. Levine, 1982. "Comparative Statics and Perfect Foresight in Infinite Horizon Economies," Working papers 312, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bala, V. & Majumdar, M. & Mitra, T., 1990.
"Decentralized Evolutionary Mechanisms For Intertemporal Economies - A Possibility Result,"
422, Cornell - Department of Economics.
- Venkatesh Bala & Mukul Majumdar & Tapan Mitra, 1991. "Decentralized evolutionary mechanisms for intertemporal economies: A possibility result," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Kenneth Mount & Stanley Reiter, 1973.
"The Informational Size of Message Spaces,"
3, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hurwicz, Leonid & Weinberger, Hans F., 1990. "A necessary condition for decentralization and an application to intertemporal allocation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 313-345, August.
- Aizpurua, Jose & Manresa, Antonio, 1993. "An infinite dimensional extension of the theory of decentralized mechanisms," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 157-173, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:reecde:v:7:y:2002:i:1:p:57-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.