A note on the evaluation of long-run investment decisions using the sharpe ratio
This paper reexamines the use of the Sharpe ratio to measure the performance of large and small company stocks along with corporate bonds over different holding periods. It builds on previous research which cites the effects of serial correlation and non-normality in the creation of estimation error in the calculation of the Sharpe ratio. It finds that higher order moments such as skewness and kurtosis are a further source of error that must be accounted for when making inferences about asset performance. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 37 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12197/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987.
"Mean Reversion in Stock Prices: Evidence and Implications,"
NBER Working Papers
2343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1988. "Mean reversion in stock prices : Evidence and Implications," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-59, October.
- Norman Strong & Nicholas Taylor, 2001. "Time Diversification: Empirical Tests," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3-4), pages 263-302.
- Haim Levy, 1972. "Portfolio Performance and the Investment Horizon," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(12), pages 645-653, August.
- Yong Bao, 2009. "Estimation Risk-Adjusted Sharpe Ratio and Fund Performance Ranking under a General Return Distribution," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(2), pages 152-173, Spring.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1988. "Permanent and Temporary Components of Stock Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 246-273, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jecfin:v:37:y:2013:i:1:p:150-157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.