Assessing Aggregate Labour Productivity Trends in Canada and the United States: Total Economy versus Business Sector Perspectives
Jeremy Smith of the Centre for the Study of Living Standards looks at the comparability of productivity growth measures in Canada and the United States, and finds that comparisons of aggregate productivity performance are sensitive to whether trends are assessed at the business sector or total economy level. This sensitivity is a result of substantially higher measured non-business sector productivity growth in Canada relative to the United States, which is partially explained by different measurement techniques in the two countries. There is no definitive answer as to which level is preferable for international productivity growth comparisons.
Volume (Year): 8 (2004)
Issue (Month): (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 151 Slater Street, Suite 710, Ottawa, ON K1P 5H3|
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Richard G. Harris & Andrew Sharpe, 2002. "The Widening Canada-US Productivity Gap in Manufaturing," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 5, pages 3-22, Fall.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2003.
"Why are Americans More Productive than Canadians?,"
International Productivity Monitor,
Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 6, pages 19-37, Spring.
- Baldwin, John R. & Harchaoui, Tarek, 2002. "Productivity Growth in Canada," Productivity Growth in Canada, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis, number stcb6e, December.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2004. "Recent Productivity Developments in Canada and the United States: Productivity Growth Deceleration versus Acceleration," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 8, pages 16-26, Spring.
- Jeremy Smith, 2004. "Aggregate Labour Productivity Growth in Canada and the United States: Definitions, Trends and Measurement Issues," CSLS Research Reports 2004-04, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Dirk Pilat & Paul Schreyer, 2004. "The OECD Productivity Database: An Overview," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 8, pages 59-65, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:8:y:2004:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSLS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.