The Up-Coming Crisis and the Banking Sector in the Baltic States
We tested for the significance of macroeconomic variables that condition nonperforming loan (NPL) ratios. The hypothesis of procyclicality between economic activity and improving NPL ratio in the Baltic States was proved. The increased economic activity improved the NPL ratio. Due to a high share of loans denominated in a foreign currency and the fact of productivity gains in the tradable sector, the appreciation of the real exchange rate contributed to an improvement in NPL ratio. The procyclicality of banking sector performance and high economic activities growth could be a signal of an economy overheating in the Baltics.
Volume (Year): 145 (2009)
Issue (Month): III (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evens SALIES & Peter MOFFATT, 2004.
"A note on the modelling of hyper-inflations,"
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Pagano, Marco, 1992.
"Saving, Growth and Liquidity Constraints,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
662, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Esaka, Taro, 2003. "Panel unit root tests of purchasing power parity between Japanese cities, 1960-1998: disaggregated price data," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 233-244, April.
- Iwaisako, Tokuo, 2004. "Stock Index Autocorrelation and Cross-autocorrelations of Size-sorted Portfolios in the Japanese Market," Discussion Paper Series a448, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Petr JAKUBÍK, 2007. "Macroeconomic Environment and Credit Risk (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(1-2), pages 60-78, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2009-iii-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.