The Shortest Path Isolation Index: A New Measure for Individual-level Residential Segregation
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Lichter & Domenico Parisi & Steven Grice & Michael Taquino, 2007. "National estimates of racial segregation in rural and small-town America," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 44(3), pages 563-581, August.
- Malia Jones & Anne Pebley, 2014. "Redefining Neighborhoods Using Common Destinations: Social Characteristics of Activity Spaces and Home Census Tracts Compared," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(3), pages 727-752, June.
- Flowerdew, Robin & Manley, David J. & Sabel, Clive E., 2008. "Neighbourhood effects on health: Does it matter where you draw the boundaries?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1255, March.
- Gift Dumedah & Nadine Schuurman & Wanhong Yang, 2008. "Minimizing effects of scale distortion for spatially grouped census data using rough sets," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 47-69, March.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Eleonore M Veldhuizen & Karien Stronks & Anton E Kunst, 2013. "Assessing Associations between Socio-Economic Environment and Self-Reported Health in Amsterdam Using Bespoke Environments," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 8(7), pages 1-10, July.
- John M. Eason, 2017. "Prisons as Panacea or Pariah? The Countervailing Consequences of the Prison Boom on the Political Economy of Rural Towns," Social Sciences, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Martin Gaechter & Peter Schwazer & Engelbert Theurl, 2012.
"Stronger Sex but Earlier Death: A Multi-level Socioeconomic Analysis of Gender Differences in Mortality in Austria,"
DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 1, pages 1-23, March.
- Martin Gächter & Peter Schwazer & Engelbert Theurl, 2010. "Stronger sex but earlier death: A multi-level socioeconomic analysis of gender differences in mortality in Austria," NRN working papers 2010-06, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Martin G?chter & Peter Schwazer & Engelbert Theurl, 2010. "Stronger sex but earlier death: A multi-level socioeconomic analysis of gender differences in mortality in Austria," Working Papers 2010-16, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Danny Wende, 2019. "Spatial risk adjustment between health insurances: using GWR in risk adjustment models to conserve incentives for service optimisation and reduce MAUP," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 20(7), pages 1079-1091, September.
- Lo, A. W.-T. & Houston, D., 2018. "How do compact, accessible, and walkable communities promote gender equality in spatial behavior?," Journal of Transport Geography, Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 42-54.
- Lee, Min-Ah, 2009. "Neighborhood residential segregation and mental health: A multilevel analysis on Hispanic Americans in Chicago," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(11), pages 1975-1984, June.
- Stephen Matthews & Daniel M. Parker, 2013. "Progress in Spatial Demography," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 28(10), pages 271-312.
- Erin York Cornwell & Kathleen A Cagney, 2017. "Aging in Activity Space: Results From Smartphone-Based GPS-Tracking of Urban Seniors," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 72(5), pages 864-875.
- Logan, Trevon D. & Parman, John M., 2017. "The National Rise in Residential Segregation," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 77(1), pages 127-170, March.
- Jack Byerly, 2019. "The residential segregation of the American Indian and Alaska Native population in US metropolitan and micropolitan areas, 2010," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 40(33), pages 963-974.
- Matthew Hall & John Iceland & Youngmin Yi, 2019. "Racial Separation at Home and Work: Segregation in Residential and Workplace Settings," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 38(5), pages 671-694, October.
- Petteway, Ryan J. & Mujahid, Mahasin & Allen, Amani & Morello-Frosch, Rachel, 2019. "The body language of place: A new method for mapping intergenerational “geographies of embodiment” in place-health research," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 223(C), pages 51-63.
- Lee Fiorio & Emilio Zagheni & Guy L. Abel & Johnathan Hill & Gabriel Pestre & Emmanuel Letouzé & Jixuan Cai, 2020. "Analyzing the effect of time in migration measurement using geo-referenced digital trace data," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2020-024, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Hongwei Xu & John Logan & Susan Short, 2014. "Integrating Space With Place in Health Research: A Multilevel Spatial Investigation Using Child Mortality in 1880 Newark, New Jersey," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(3), pages 811-834, June.
- Basta, Luke A. & Richmond, Therese S. & Wiebe, Douglas J., 2010. "Neighborhoods, daily activities, and measuring health risks experienced in urban environments," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(11), pages 1943-1950, December.
- Logan, Trevon D. & Parman, John M., 2018. "Segregation and mortality over time and space," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 199(C), pages 77-86.
- Lisa D. Cook & Trevon D. Logan & John M. Parman, 2018. "Rural Segregation and Racial Violence: Historical Effects of Spatial Racism," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 77(3-4), pages 821-847, May.
- José-María Montero & Coro Chasco & Beatriz Larraz, 2010. "Building an environmental quality index for a big city: a spatial interpolation approach combined with a distance indicator," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 435-459, December.
- Andrew L. Hicks & Mark S. Handcock & Narayan Sastry & Anne R. Pebley, 2018. "Sequential Neighborhood Effects: The Effect of Long-Term Exposure to Concentrated Disadvantage on Children’s Reading and Math Test Scores," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 55(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Astell-Burt, Thomas & Feng, Xiaoqi & Croteau, Karen & Kolt, Gregory S., 2013. "Influence of neighbourhood ethnic density, diet and physical activity on ethnic differences in weight status: A study of 214,807 adults in Australia," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 70-77.
More about this item
Keywordsresidential segregation; measures of segregation; historical demography; isolation; spatial segregation; MAUP; network analyst; West Philadelphia; Philadelphia;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:somere:v:49:y:2020:i:3:p:742-777. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.