Un’analisi economica della mobilità sociale in Italia
This paper aims at providing an economic analysis of the intergenerational social mobility in Italy. The data come from ISTAT. We present absolute mobility and social fluidity tables. We also examine the cohort effect, finding for Italy an increase in intergenerational absolute mobility, and a stabilization in the cohort 1951-1960. Social fluidity goes up for the upper and the lower classes. Through multinomial logit models, we try to predict the variations in the probability of belonging to the different social destinations according to social origin, level of education, own talents, age and gender. We confirm the family background importance in Italy.
Volume (Year): 96 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (May-June)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniele Checchi & Francesco Zollino, 2001. "Sistema scolastico e selezione sociale in Italia," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 91(6), pages 43-84, July-Augu.
- Thomas Piketty, 1994.
"Social Mobility and Redistributive Politics,"
94-15, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2009.
"The private and social return to schooling in Italy,"
Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers)
53, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Antonio Ciccone & Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2004. "The Private and Social Return to Schooling in Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 413-444, December.
- Antonio Ciccone & Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2006. "The private and social return to schooling in Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 569, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1981. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Distribution of Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 843-67, June.
- Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti, 2000. "Intergenerational mobility of socio-economic status in comparative perspective," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 26, pages 3-32.
- Daniele Checchi, 2003. "The Italian educational system: family background and social stratification," Departmental Working Papers 2003-01, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Roland Benabou, 2000. "Unequal Societies: Income Distribution and the Social Contract," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 96-129, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:96:y:2006:i:3:p:47-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.