Recent Developments in Business Cycle Theory: News, Expectations and Demand Shocks
This paper surveys some recent work in the theory of business cycles, which emphasizes the role of public news and consumer expectations as driving forces behind short-run aggregate fluctuations. The paper uses a simple two period model to introduce and discuss three issues regarding this class of models: (1) what is the role of nominal rigidities, (2) what are the testable implications of these models, (3) what are their implications for monetary policy.
Volume (Year): 96 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003.
"An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Research 35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Guido Lorenzoni, 2009.
"A Theory of Demand Shocks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2050-84, December.
- Cosmin L. Ilut & Lawrence J. Christiano & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010.
"Monetary Policy and Stock Market Booms,"
10-69, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Cosmin Ilut & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary policy and stock market booms," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 85-145.
- Christiano, Lawrence & Ilut, Cosmin & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2011. "Monetary Policy and Stock Market Booms," Working Papers 2011-005, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Lawrence Christiano & Cosmin L. Ilut & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Stock Market Booms," NBER Working Papers 16402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Cosmin Ilut & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary policy and stock market booms," FRB Atlanta CQER Working Paper 2010-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rpo:ripoec:v:96:y:2006:i:2:p:61-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabrina Marino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.