FDI, Productivity and Wages. New Evidence from a Romanian Matched Sample
Governments in Central and Eastern Europe have created special incentives in order to attract FDI, based on the optimistic idea that foreign firms perform better than local ones. The recent literature sheds some doubt on the sources of productivity and wage premium, suggesting that most of the performance gap is actually due to selfselection. In the present paper we reevaluate the productivity and wage premium of foreign affiliates using a large dataset of Romanian firms, for the period 2000-2008. In order to correct for self- selection and endogeneity, we use a non-parametric econometric approach. Propensity score matching allows us to go beyond a correlation analysis and establish a causal effect of foreign ownership on performance gaps. We find that that around 40% of the productivity gap and 42% of the wage premium is due to self-selection. Once this bias removed, foreign affiliates still present 19% higher productivity and 22% higher wages compared to domestic firms. Results also confirm spillovers effects to domestic firms and show evidence of rent-sharing between foreign affiliates and their employees. We conclude that FDI do indeed have beneficial effects in the Romanian economy, though their magnitude is considerably overestimated.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kristiina Huttunen, 2007. "The Effect of Foreign Acquisition on Employment and Wages: Evidence from Finnish Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-509, August.
- Martins, Pedro S., 2004.
"Do Foreign Firms Really Pay Higher Wages? Evidence from Different Estimators,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1388, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pedro S. Martins, 2004. "Do Foreign Firms Really Pay Higher Wages? : Evidence from Different Estimators," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0409, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Damijan, Joze P. & Knell, Mark & Majcen, Boris & Rojec, Matija, 2003. "The role of FDI, R&D accumulation and trade in transferring technology to transition countries: evidence from firm panel data for eight transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yasar, Mahmut & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2008.
"Foreign Technology Transfer and Productivity: Evidence From a Matched Sample,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 105-112, January.
- Mahmut Yasar & Catherine J. Morrison Paul, 2005. "Foreign Technology Transfer and Productivity: Evidence from a Matched Sample," Emory Economics 0514, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg, 2006.
"Evaluating the foreign ownership wage premium using a difference-indifferences matching approach,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Girma, Sourafel & Gorg, Holger, 2007. "Evaluating the foreign ownership wage premium using a difference-in-differences matching approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 97-112, May.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2006. "Evaluating the Foreign Ownership Wage Premium Using a Difference-in-Differences Matching Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5788, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska & Spatareanu, Mariana, 2008.
"To share or not to share: Does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 194-217, February.
- Beata Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2006. "To Share or Not To Share: Does Local Participation Matter for Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment?," Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark 2006-001, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Beata Smarzynska Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2003. "To share or not to share : does local participation matter for spillovers from foreign direct investment?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3118, The World Bank.
- Stepan Jurajda & Juraj Stancik, 2009.
"Foreign Ownership and Corporate Performance: The Czech Republic at EU Entry,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp389, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Stepan Jurajda & Juraj Stancik, 2012. "Foreign Ownership and Corporate Performance: The Czech Republic at EU Entry," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(4), pages 306-324, August.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Christian Bellak, 2004.
"How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does It Matter?,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp087, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Christian Bellak, 2004. "How Domestic and Foreign Firms Differ and Why Does it Matter?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 483-514, 09.
- Conyon, Martin J, et al, 2002. "The Productivity and Wage Effects of Foreign Acquisition in the United Kingdom," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 85-102, March.
- Jan Hagemejer & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2011.
"Not All That Glitters,"
Eastern European Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(3), pages 89-111, May.
- Sourafel Girma & David Greenaway & Katherine Wakelin, 2002. "Does antidumping stimulate FDI? Evidence from Japanese firms in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(3), pages 414-436, September.
- Yasar, Mahmut & Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2007. "International linkages and productivity at the plant level: Foreign direct investment, exports, imports and licensing," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 373-388, April.
- Steven Globerman & John C. Ries & Ilan Vertinsky, 1994. "The Economic Performance of Foreign Affiliates in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 143-56, February.
- Bruno Merlevede & Koen Schoors & Mariana Spatareanu, 2010. "FDI Spillovers and the Timing of Foreign Entry," LICOS Discussion Papers 26710, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Sergio Salis, 2008. "Foreign Acquisition and Firm Productivity: Evidence from Slovenia," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(8), pages 1030-1048, 08.
- Patrik Karpaty, 2007. "Productivity Effects of Foreign Acquisitions in Swedish Manufacturing: The FDI Productivity Issue Revisited," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 241-260.
- Jan Hagemejer & Joanna Tyrowicz, 2010.
"Not all that glitters. The direct effects of privatization through foreign investment,"
2010-12, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Bruno Merlevede & Koen Schoors, 2009. "Privatisation and foreign direct investment in 10 transition countries," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 143-156.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2012:i:4:p:36-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.