Income Polarization In Romania
This article presents the results of a study devoted to the measurement of the income polarization in Romania. In the first part the key methodological issues of measuring polarization are addressed, with emphasis on the polarization indices. To measure the polarization of the household incomes in Romania, which is the subject of the second part of the study, several indices of bipolarization (Foster-Wolfson, Wang-Tsui, Milanovi, Esteban-Ray and Esteban-Gradin-Ray indices) and group polarization (Esteban-Ray and Gradin indices) have been used. All indicators show a higher degree of polarization in 2008 as compared with 1995 and 2000.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13, Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172|
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991. "On the Measurement of Polarization," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Stefananescu, Stefan, 2008. "Measuring the Socio-Economic Bipolarization Phenomenon," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 5(1), pages 149-161, March.
- Joan Esteban & Carlos Gradín & Debraj Ray, 2007. "An Extension of a Measure of Polarization, with an application to the income distribution of five OECD countries," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 5(1), pages 1-19, April.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Esteban, Joan & Ray, Debraj, 2003.
"Polarization: Concepts, Measurement, Estimation,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Easterly, William, 2000.
"the middle class consensus and economic development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2346, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William, 2001. "The Middle Class Consensus and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 317-335, December.
- James Foster & Michael Wolfson, 2010. "Polarization and the decline of the middle class: Canada and the U.S," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 8(2), pages 247-273, June.
- Wang, You-Qiang & Tsui, Kai-Yuen, 2000. " Polarization Orderings and New Classes of Polarization Indices," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(3), pages 349-363.
- Damien Echevin & Antoine Parent, 2002.
"Les indicateurs de polarisation et leur application à la France,"
Économie et Prévision,
Programme National Persée, vol. 155(4), pages 13-30.
- Damien Échevin & Antoine Parent, 2002. "Les indicateurs de polarisation et leur application à la France," Economie & Prévision, La Documentation Française, vol. 155(4), pages 13-30.
- Voinea, Liviu & Mihaescu, Flaviu, 2009. "The Impact of the Flat Tax Reform on Inequality - the case of Romania," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(4), pages 19-41, December.
- Molnar, Maria, 2010. "Income distribution in Romania," MPRA Paper 30062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2011:i:2:p:64-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.