Asymmetric Adjustment in the Lending-Deposit Rate Spread: Evidence from Eastern European Countries
This study carries out an examination of the potential non-linear cointegration between the lending and deposit rates of eight Eastern European countries using the threshold models by Enders and Granger (1998) and Enders and Siklos (2001). Based upon our adoption in this study of the threshold error-correction model (TECM), we find solid evidence of an asymmetric price transmission effect between the lending and deposit rates. Thus, our results reveal that there are indeed such long-run non-linear cointegration relationships between the lending and deposit rates in these Eastern European countries. Furthermore, we go on to successfully capture the dynamic adjustment of the spread.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hutchison, David E, 1995. "Retail Bank Deposit Pricing: An Intertemporal Asset Pricing Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 217-31, February.
- Karras, Georgios, 1996. "Are the Output Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric? Evidence from a Sample of European Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 267-78, May.
- Bradley T. Ewing & James E. Payne & Shawn M. Forbes, 1998.
"Co-Movements Of The Prime Rate, Cd Rate, And The S&P Financial Stock Index,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(4), pages 469-482, December.
- Ewing, Bradley T & Payne, James E & Forbes, Shawn M, 1998. "Co-movements of the Prime Rate, CD Rate, and the S&P Financial Stock Index," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(4), pages 469-82, Winter.
- Lucio Sarno & Ibrahim Chowdhury, 2003. "The Behaviour of the Real Exchange Rate: Evidence from an Alternative Price Index," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(3), pages 295-333, November.
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Enders, Walter & Siklos, Pierre L, 2001.
"Cointegration and Threshold Adjustment,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 166-76, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Enders-Siklos(2001) JBES paper on threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00053, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ENDERSIKLOS: RATS procedure to perform Enders-Siklos test for cointegration with threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00064, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michael J. Dueker, 2000. "Are prime rate changes asymmetric?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 33-40.
- Cover, James Peery, 1992. "Asymmetric Effects of Positive and Negative Money-Supply Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1261-82, November.
- Rhee, Wooheon & Rich, Robert W., 1995. "Inflation and the asymmetric effects of money on output fluctuations," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 683-702.
- Diebold, Francis X & Sharpe, Steven A, 1990. "Post-deregulation Bank-Deposit-Rate Pricing: The Multivariate Dynamics," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 281-91, July.
- Arden, Richard, et al, 2000. "The Asymmetric Effects of Monetary Policy: Some Results from a Macroeconometric Model," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 68(4), pages 419-41, Special I.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2010:i:2:p:165-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.