On Measurement of the Average Unemployment Duration using Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey data
Questions concerning analysis of the unemployment duration using RLMS data are considered. It is shown that estimates of the average unemployment duration and the hazard function based on these data obtained in the earlier research are seriously biased. A new method of analyzing the duration of unemployment using RLMS is proposed in the paper. Estimates of the average unemployment duration which agree with the estimates by Rosstat are obtained. The proposed method can be used for estimation of various econometric duration models
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Grogan, Louise & van den Berg, Gerard J, 1999.
"The Duration of Unemployment in Russia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grogan, Louise & Berg, Gerard J. van den, 1999. "The duration of unemployment in Russia," Serie Research Memoranda 0015, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1979. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1249-66, September.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Stephen W. Salant, 1974.
"Search theory and duration data: a theory of sorts,"
Special Studies Papers
42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Salant, Stephen W, 1977. "Search Theory and Duration Data: A Theory of Sorts," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-57, February.
- Corak, Miles & Heisz, Andrew, 1996.
"Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(1), pages 63-74, March.
- Heisz, Andrew & Corak, Miles, 1995. "Alternative Measures of the Average Duration of Unemployment," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1995083e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baker, G M & Trivedi, P K, 1985. "Estimation of Unemployment Duration from Grouped Data: A Comparative Study," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(2), pages 153-74, April.
- Foley, M.C., 1997. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration in Russia," Papers 779, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Mark C. Foley, 1997. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration in Russia," Working Papers 779, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Mark C. Foley, 1997. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration in Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 81, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19990011 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:apltrx:0033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.