The Interval Effect in Estimating Beta: Empirical Evidence from the Romanian Stock Market
This study presents empirical evidence regarding the interval e¤ect in estimation of beta coeffcients for stocks listed on the Bucharest Stock Exchange. Employing the standard market model, this paper finds that beta estimates for the same stock differs considerably when daily and monthly returns are used. Further, using a linear regression model, this paper shows that the differences between monthly and daily beta estimates are negatively ces to some characteristics of stock, like market capitalization and trading intensity.
Volume (Year): 07 (2015)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Strada Mihai Eminescu nr.13-15, sector 1, Bucuresti, Romania|
Web page: http://www.fin.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-465, June.
- Alexandros Milionis, 2011. "A conditional CAPM: implications for systematic risk estimation," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 12(4), pages 306-314, August.
- Cohen, Kalman J, et al, 1980. " Implications of Microstructure Theory for Empirical Research on Stock Price Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 249-257, May.
- Jiri Novak & Dalibor Petr, 2010. "CAPM Beta, Size, Book-to-Market, and Momentum in Realized Stock Returns," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(5), pages 447-460, December.
- Handa, Puneet & Kothari, S. P. & Wasley, Charles, 1989. "The relation between the return interval and betas : Implications for the size effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 79-100, June.
- Jan Bartholdy & Dennis Olson & Paula Peare, 2007.
"Conducting Event Studies on a Small Stock Exchange,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 227-252.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Olson, Dennis & Peare, Paula, 2006. "Conducting event studies on a small stock exchange," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Alexandros E. Milionis & Dimitra K. Patsouri, 2011. "A conditional CAPM; implications for the estimation of systematic risk," Working Papers 131, Bank of Greece.
- Hawawini, Gabriel, 1983. "Why beta shifts as the return interval changes," MPRA Paper 44893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cohen, Kalman J. & Hawawini, Gabriel A. & Maier, Steven F. & Schwartz, Robert A. & Whitcomb, David K., 1983. "Friction in the trading process and the estimation of systematic risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 263-278, August.
- Hawawini, Gabriel & Cohen, Kalman & Maier, Steven & Schwartz, Robert & Whitcomb, David, 1980. "Implications of microstructure theory for empirical research in stock price behavior," MPRA Paper 33976, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brailsford, Timothy J. & Josev, Thomas, 1997. "The impact of the return interval on the estimation of systematic risk," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 357-376, July.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Peare, Paula, 2005. "Estimation of expected return: CAPM vs. Fama and French," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 407-427.
- Handa, Puneet & Kothari, S P & Wasley, Charles, 1993. " Sensitivity of Multivariate Tests of the Capital Asset-Pricing Model to the Return Measurement Interval," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1543-1551, September.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfb:journl:v:07:y:2015:i:2:p:016-025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatu Lucian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.